Lost Scrivener Project

Hiya, hope you’re all having a nice day.

I recently did a P-ram reset to see if I could improve the lag on my Mac, but instead, it removed 2 years worth of school work. When trying to reset it, I got this error:

The project at “/Users//Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/***.scriv” seems to have been copied from another project while it was open and in use by **** on -MacBook-Pro at path '/Users//Documents/*****;.scriv’. Scrivener will rebuild its search indexes before opening the project. Before continuing, please ensure that this project could not currently be open anywhere else, as if the same project is open on more than one machine, data could be lost. If you are not sure, you can choose ‘Make a Copy’ to make a copy of the project and work from that.

When I tried to load it into scrivener, it loaded an old backup with a very little amount of work. I don’t understand what’s happened, but I’d love to get my work back if possible. Thanks!

Given that the project itself is an old backup, it might not be worth worrying too much over it, but the warning you’ve pasted doesn’t indicate the project is damaged or anything bad like that. It’s there for your awareness, in case the project is something you tend to work on from multiple locations (such as through a Dropbox folder). If you don’t ever do that, then more likely there was a crash—or just like the warning says itself, the project was copied to some iCloud folder from Documents while it was open, and clicking the Continue button will be safe.

I can’t say why you have Scrivener projects inside your internal iCloud mobile folders, have you installed 10.12 recently? If so I’ve heard that people with iCloud accounts have a question posed during the upgrade that offers to migrate all of your Documents data to iCloud. There was a discussion on that in this thread.

Like I say though, you may just have an old project backup loaded for some reason. I would hunt for other projects on your drive. If you’re using the direct sale version, you can use the File/Find All Projects in Spotlight menu command in Scrivener. Otherwise manually run a Spotlight search for “kind:Scrivener Project”.

Hope you find everything you need!