Lots of crashes with Scrivener 2.7.1 and Yosemite 10.10.5

Hi, I’ve been using Scrivener extensively for writing projects in recent months. During the last couple of weeks, it’s been crashing very frequently. This occurs at the tail end of the document save process or at the end of the automatic backup process. I’ve searched and browsed through this forum and elsewehre on the web, looked through the Knowledgebase here, tried a few things, but the crashing continues. Luckily, no Scrivener files have been damaged, as far as I can tell.

This is happening with Scrivener 2.7.1 on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. I have another Mac, a Mac Pro (the black trashcan) running the same versions of Yosemite and Scrivener. I tested one of my Scrivener files on this Mac a few minutes ago, and Scrivener crashed on this one too. These crashes don’t correlate with any software upgrades that I’ve done. I’ve avoided upgrading to El Capitan for various reasons.

I’ve changed the location of my automatic backups, disabled them, deleted Settings/ui.plist files from a couple of Scrivener files via the “Show Package Contents” method. I can email User Diagnostic Reports or Diagnostic and usage Messages from Console to whoever will look at them. I’m also competent enough with my Macs that I can do things like reinstall software and operating systems, or delete the “com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.LSSharedFileList” and “com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist.lockfile” from my ~/Library/Preferences folder, if any of that would be helpful.

Can someone give me some guidance? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

My guess would be you are seeing a somewhat common systemic bug in the OS X shutdown sequence for document windows.

For my own experience, as mentioned in that thread, the problem was at its worst for me on 10.10. Since I’ve started using 10.11 on a regular basis, I think I’ve only seen it once or twice—not that I’d necessarily recommend upgrading to 10.11.2, it has other bugs and issues, 10.10 is clearly more stable right now as a whole.

And as mentioned over there as well, since the crash happens after the project is closed, and after Scrivener is even doing anything itself, the problem (especially if you primarily work with one project at a time) is frustrating, but not ultimately a risk to your data.

Hi AmberV,
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I was wondering if it was a problem with Yosemite rather than Scrivener.

I’ve encountered other weird but harmless bugs with Yosemite, especially with Finder windows. One of them is the “ghost windows” or “orphaned windows” phenomenon (Google it). Another is having file names getting displaced a couple of lines downward when editing them in a Finder window viewed as a list—this is frequent and disorienting.

I can live with Scrivener crashes if I know for sure they are harmless. I’m not prepared to upgrade to El Capitan until a couple of more updates are released.

When you say that its a “somewhat common systemic bug in the OS X shutdown sequence for document windows”, is this documented with other applications anywhere else on the web, perhaps in Apple’s user discussions? Just curious.

Speaking personally, I have seen the crash on close problem happen to a few different programs, I can’t remember which at the moment. That aside, I meant “somewhat common” in the sense that we see it reported a few times a month. I’m not sure if it is like that for other programs that experience it, it wouldn’t surprise me though.

AmberV, this is good to know. Thanks once again.

I am also having loads of crashes on Yosemite 10.10.5 and Scrivener 2.5 all of a sudden.

I don’t understood from this thread if there is a solution. If so, can you let me know what it is?

AmberV said it was a Mac OX X problem. She explained it in one of her replies. I’m not ready to upgrade to El Capitan—I don’t know if this upgrade will make a difference.

These crashes are annoying, but they have been harmless— no lost or damaged files.

As far as I know, upgrading to 10.11 is not a solution (and will bring even more interfering bugs into the equation). It does not seem to be as common, and I’ve certainly not seen it since upgrading, but we do have reports of this crash in 10.11.3.