Loved working in split screen

Hi,

I had not been using Scrivener for a major work since years, apart for the occasional short but articulated techcnical text to shape with a dedicated tool.

I’m now completing a non-fiction work that has taken me months, and I got a great help from Scrivener.

What I did was working with the Binder containing my sections (usually as short as paragraphs), a main editor locked with the text I was writing, a secondary editor for the materials to get, and the Info pane for comments and notes. All across the display, with everything in the background hidden.

This worked very well, and was even relaxing. The sense of order and clarity was what I was looking for. I don’t think I could have been able to deal with the huge amount or materials I had reduce to a very short essay, without the help of Scrivener.

Paolo

5 Likes

I used Scrivener similarly, recently. I had one pain locked to a development notes file of about 30k words for a novel, created before I bought Scrivener. The other pain was dedicated to creating scenes from those development notes. I would copy a section over from the development notes to a new scene, character arc, themes, research, etc. and then highlight it green in my dev notes. If I rejected it and wasn’t moving it over, I would highlight it red. Anything not highlighted I would revisit at the end. Scrivener made this work efficient and headache free. By the end, I was grateful that this product existed. I am only now starting to leverage cork board, outline, keywords, labels, and custom fields (metadata) for my next stages. It’s a solid, robust product!

2 Likes

You guys might be interested in knowing (if you don’t already) that you can actually boost that up to four editors if you use copyholders.

(Five, even, if you also use project or document bookmarks.)

3 Likes