Loving Scrivener. Future plans?

First off, I want to say, I am absolutely loving scrivener. I tried to convince my developer brother to write something for me that could amalgamate word docs so I could build a novel after working in each chapter separately. Then I found scrivener. NOT ONLY have you already done exactly that, you have done it with many more features that never would have occurred to me. I actually feel like I may finish a novel ever. Random crashes so far have been completely worth the ease with which I am now able to approach my WIP. I keep telling all my friends about it, even those who aren’t writer’s and can’t understand my excitement.Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have a question about future plans for development. Any mobile apps? It would be great to scribble out a note card on my phone when I’m away from my computer and be able to sync that to my laptop and having it waiting there like a message for me when I open up my project. Or even have it fully integrated with a project. (This is a dream scenario. If moving to the cloud and developing for mobile platforms is not part of the plan, I will still be ecstatic about Scrivener.) But I figured it’s worth asking.

Yes, a workflow for this is on the docket for future features. There will be a few ways of doing so: a dedicated Simplenote sync feature for those that prefer that system, and also a more generic file and folder approach, which in this particular context works great with Dropbox and any mobile text editor that supports the Dropbox API enough to allow folder navigation and text file editing. Finally a sync routine for Index Card, a corkboard focussed app on the iPad.

End result is nearly exactly what you are asking for. With the latter, you’ll be able to open up your project, and if there are changes that were made while you were out and about, you’ll be informed and asked if you wish to sync. The files that were altered will be adjusted in-place in the Binder.

There is no ETA for that yet, but I’m fairly certain it is high on the list of post-release features to implement. Up there with e-books and other things that a lot of people want.

As for developing mobile applications, that is more foggy. You’re really asking for more platforms. It takes a lot of extra bandwidth to support additional versions of the program without severely crippling the desktop efforts, which will most likely always be the heart of Scrivener (unless the mobile pundits are, for once, right). Scrivener is on Windows because there is a dedicated person working on it; it probably wouldn’t ever have come to fruition without Lee stepping up to the challenge. One day that extra bandwidth might exist, and then something could feasibly come along for the iPad (Android is another matter).

But, that aside, the above described workflows really do let you access the content of your WIP, edit it on the go, add to the body of work by creating new notes, and all just about as seamlessly as you would expect of a proper sync. The whole plain-text bit is the largest snag, but that is mitigated by a paragraph level model, where only the changed paragraphs are altered in Scrivener, so format dropping is minimal. Actually our code supports full RTF syncing—but to date there are no mobile applications that can work that way. That should improve in time.