Lower case after .?

On the iOS version, I’m having trouble figuring out how to get Scrivener to let me have a lower-case character after a period. It keeps forcing it to upper case. For example, in:

“You know,” she said. “I’m feeling… Queasy.”

This appears to be an iOS text entry thing, so it’s possibly not directly Scrivener’s “fault,” and I can always patch it up on the laptop, but is there a way of handling it directly?

Two options: 1) in the iOS settings app, go to General > Keyboard > Auto-Capitalization > Off

or 2) when a letter has auto-capitalized, press the shift key to toggle upper/lower case

You can also leave on the option in the General settings, so it will continue to work this way in other applications, but turn it off in Scrivener. In the Settings.app, this is under Scrivener > Spelling & Substitutions.

You always have a sharp idea, Jennifer MM :wink:

Appreciated,
C.

Regarding the Shift key, you have to just tap it and not hold it down to change uppercase to lowercase. It took me ages to work this out on iOS.

On the iPad Pro 9.7 this problem is present when using the Apple attachable keyboard. Toggling the shift key does not work.

I prefer to keep the auto-capitalization feature enabled as it is helpful far more than it is a detriment. A quick workaround I’ve been using is to type the letter twice, hit the back arrow, hit delete, hit the forward arrow. Very quick and relatively simple to accomplish.

If someone has discovered a better method to use I’d like to hear about it.

I haven’t tried this, but if you create a substitution for three periods that replaces it with the ellipsis character, then autocorrect might not auto-capitalize after it.

Keith: Could that character be added to the list of customizable buttons for the extended keyboard row? I just tried entering an ellipsis using the main keyboard’s “dot” button, and it doesn’t force autocapitialization afterward, so it might be handy to be able to add it… for those of us who are kind of… addicted to over-using it. Or maybe… not such a great idea… :stuck_out_tongue:

I have also been struggling to work out how to recapitalise a word following a period.
I’m glad even the great KB took some time to work that one out - and thanks for the solution.
I’m loving iOS Scrivener.

The ellipsis?

It is already available on the customisation menu. It’s there between the forward slash and the per cent symbol.

:blush:

For me three dots auto converts into an ellipsis and doesn’t get capitalised. That conversion is in the settings.

I don’t know when it happened, but tapping the shift key on my iPad Pro with attachable keyboard now un-capitalizes the word after a non-sentence-ending period, i.e. like this.

Model: MLMV2LL/A
iOS 10.0.2