Mac share via dropbox--got a scrivx file?!

H all

I have read a lot of threads on this already, but many are from several years ago and I haven’t found and answer.

I am a long time Mac Scrivener user. I love it–thank you! I have collaborated with other mac scriv users via dropbox with no problem.

I just began a project with a friend who has win scriv. Edit, turns out she is on a mac too. I have zero idea where this scrivx file came from. So now I am REALLY confused.

Via dropbox, she sent me a project.scrivx file. My machine will not open that sucker, whether or not scrivener is open. First it wants to change the file extension, then it wants to backup the file, then it admits it just can’t open it.

What are we doing wrong?

[s]So far, the possibilities I have found are that

1. She needs to save the entire folder as a zip to share it.
  2. She might need to update her version of scrivener (that was from 2011, though).

Do either of these sound like the likely culprit? [/s]
I’ve already spent most of my few precious hours of wifi crapping around with this. Help is much appreciated.

Obvi if we are both on macs, none of the above apply. I asked her to drag the project.scriv file to dropbox so we could see if that works. I am mystified. Will update when more info.

Thank you!

All projects have a .scrivx file, that isn’t just a Windows thing, it is the master file, a map to all of the content that has been written, gathered, etc. There is no project without that file. The difference is that on Windows that file is more obvious because it is the one you double-click on, so it is a common mistake to only share or back up that one file instead of the whole folder it came from (which is the full project). On a Mac that top level folder acts like a file, so you never even see or interact with the .scrivx file.

At any rate, my guess is that your colleague shared the project via the Dropbox website and made the same mistake many Windows users do about the file. I’d get in touch and ask her to share the “project name.scriv” folder, rather than just the “project name.scrivx” inside the folder. The result of sharing the “.scriv” folder will cause a Scrivener project to appear on your Mac in the Dropbox share folder, and once it fully downloads you can just click on it and go—all changes you make will be automatically sent to your colleague so the next time she double-clicks the same project she’ll see the changes you made.

Sharing .zip files is indeed a much safer approach. As you can guess from the above description, if you share things that way you need to be very careful to have a schedule so that you aren’t both working on the project at once.