mac to pc templates

I created a template at work on my mac and tried to import it on my windows pc at home and couldn’t get it to work. I also tried to export it from the mac version in hopes that the pc version could read it but no luck. Having the ability to work across platforms would be very helpful to me.

I see there was no reply to this really old post. The problem is still there - I just tried to share a template I created on my mac with my husband, using a PC and the latest version of Scrivener for PC, and it crashed not only the program, but his whole computer. Is sharing templates from mac to pc supposed to be possible??

Mm, that is definitely wrong. There’s not a super convenient way to do this at the moment, but it is possible to share templates between Windows and the Mac 2.x version and they should not crash the program or your computer. Have you been able to successfully create and open other projects on the Windows beta? There’s a bug in the 029 (current) beta that has shown up for some people which causes Scrivener to crash when trying to open projects via the New Project window; in most cases, with the default settings, when you relaunch Scrivener the project you were attempting to open or create will open automatically and you can work in it successfully; you just can’t open more than one project at a time. There’s a thread on that here, and Lee is working on a fix for it.

Even that, though, should only crash Scrivener and not the entire computer. Could you copy and paste the Windows crash log or any other error reports generated from the crash so Lee can take a look? To grab the crash report generated by Windows*:

1. Open the Control Panel and choose Administrative Tools (under System and Security if you’re viewing categories)
  2. Open Computer Management
  3. In the tree view, select System Tools\Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application
  4. In the window on the right, you should see a list of reports Information, Error, and Warning. Group these by date and sort by level, and then look for any errors that occurred at the time of your crash–the source column should say something like “Application Error” or “Application Hang”. Selecting any one should show you the details in the lower part of the window; you can also double click to open it in a new window. Make sure that “Scrivener.exe” is referenced in the description of the error, and then use the Copy button to send the contents to your clipboard (if you get an option, choose “copy details as text” rather than “copy table”).
  5. Paste the crash details in a post here, with your description of the crash.
  • These steps are for Windows 7; Vista and XP may be slightly different. In XP I believe the path in step 3 is just System Tools\Event Viewer\Application

Back on the original issue of the templates, there are two ways to go about this. You can take the .scrivtemplate file from the Mac user and put it directly in the appropriate folder on your Windows machine so that it appears with the other templates in the New Project window, or you can just take an actual .scriv project from the Mac user, open that project on Windows, and then do Save As Template on Windows. This is just because there’s not currently an option to just “Import Templates”, although that will be added. Where the folder is will depend on which version of Windows you’re on, but it shouldn’t be too hard to find. On Windows 7 it’ll be C:\Users[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Scrivener\Scrivener\ProjectTemplates. If that last “ProjectTemplates” folder doesn’t exist, you can create it, using exactly that name. Then just place the .scrivtemplate file there and it will show up in your New Project panel (you may need to restart Scrivener to have it appear).