macOS: Change saving backup dialog to non-float

Hi, I’d like to request that the saving backup dialog, that may appear on quit of Scrivener, be changed from a floating dialog to a regular dialog.

When I quit my sizeable Scrivener document and it then creates a backup, I am looking at a floating dialog in the middle of my screen for about half a minute. I can only move it around, but not remove it, meaning it will cover part of my screen for quite some time, which is pretty annoying when I start switching to other applications. And upon the next quit of Scrivener, it is right back at in the middle…

A minor issue I am sure, but I don’t see why it has to be a floating dialog. :slight_smile:

macOS 12.0.1 Montery, Scrivener 3.2.3

Presumably it floats because out of sight is out of mind, and I suppose there are things you should not do while that backup is taking place. Having the window float the whole time is your reminder. So, a good kind of annoyance?

1 Like

What shouldn’t I be doing? Not using my computer? Scrivener has already closed the document in question, so I can’t do anything there. It floats above everything, and is thus a ustabilitet hindrance.

I don’t disagree myself, from a personal standpoint, but there are is a dialogue class that is used (which I’m fairly certain is following Apple’s design guidelines) that is obnoxiously omnipresent. You will often find that auto-update progress dialogues often use this class of dialogue as well. My guess is that there is nothing more discrete, perhaps floating within the software itself but not across the entire operating system.

What I always do is just shove the thing off the edge of the screen, bottom left or right, and get back to work.

How sizable is it? My WIP (where P stands for procrastination) is 31 mb, but it would be 12 mb bigger if I didn’t keep nearly all my images outside the project and refer to them with $img tags when they’re needed for Compile. The project backs up and closes in about 5 seconds.

Abruptly shoving the computer into sleep mode during a backup would be a bad idea, for instance.

It’s possible to disable automatic backups if you find them too time consuming. If most of the project consists of static files (like research materials), for example, you may not want to make a complete copy of everything every time you close the program.