Magical iPad 90% off

Today’s is supposed to be my ‘get organized day’ before heading off to play security at a pricey valentine party tonight. I’d picked up MagicalPad for my iPad on sale a few months back, but never explored what it could do. Today I looked and found it quite impressive. It merges outlining, mind mapping, note taking and to-do lists into one pretty application.

Checking up on it via iTunes, I discovered that it’s now 90% off or only 99 cents for a “limited time only.” Details here:

itunes.apple.com/us/app/magical … 31782?mt=8

There’s also a two-year-old video review at:

itunes.apple.com/us/app/magical … 31782?mt=8

The biggest negative is perhaps that there are no iPhone or Mac versions. Any brainstorming you do with it will have to be on an iPad. It does export in various formats, including OPML and RTF, so you will be able to move what you’ve done elsewhere.

It is quite colorful and pretty, if you like that sort of thing.

–Michael W. Perry, Seattle

Thank you for reporting, it’s a really interesting app. I like its very simple, yet elegant look, and how natural it feels working with it. It remembers me of Curio, but with a lighter, more usable feel. Mixing lists, free scribblings and diagrams is exactly how I work. While its mindmap section is not as refined as MindNode Touch or iThought HD, I find its appearance more inviting and less obstrusive than this latter. If they added curvy connecting lines, I would be absolutely happy.

Paolo

After playing a bit more with MagicalPad, I’m undecided on which one I would open for drafting an idea, between it and iThoughtsHD. Probably, if it is mostly outlines and some floating note to later insert in a list or a mindmap, it would be MagicalPad. If it is mindmapping and floating notes to be later connected, it would be iThoughtsHD.

Making outlines in iTHD is not impossible, even if they are not the classic lists. You can automatically number all children of a node, and use branches as if they where childred of an outline list. Additionally, you can add a border around this mindmap group. It looks unusual, but it seems to me as effective as a traditional list.

As for tasks, iTHD is less immediate, but more powerful: where in MP you easily cycle between bullets, unchecked and checked, in iTHD you can add a progress percentage, that I find finer and more useful.

Where MP is clean and ‘turned down’, iTHD is an explosion of colors and a bit cluttered. But dealing with mindmaps is easier (connecting is just drag & drop), and the appearance is somewhat more inspiring. It depends on your mood: MP if you are for something calm, iTHD for more amphetamined thinking.

Paolo