I have a mailto: link in my Scrivener file that works without any problem from Scrivener, but when I export to mobi, the link doesn’t work in Kindle. Any suggestion?
Is this a bug?
You have probably som tick box ticked/unticked in compile which strips the link function. I don’t remember where it is but you can probably find it in the manual if you search for links.
Keep in mind that hyperlinks work without any problem in the same file. The Manual didn’t help me.
Did you add it as a link? Or did you just add the text mailto:xxxxx
Of course, I added it as a link (Edit/Add link/E mail.
Obviously, it’s a bug.
Does it work if you compile to ePub format and open in something like iBooks or Adobe Digital Editions?
Yes, no problem if I compile for epub and I open the file in Apple Books.
As is often the case, the problem is much less mysterious when enabling the source file output option in the General Options tab, and looking at the HTML for the link. Something is clearly odd with it, when compared to a normal link, in that all of the text used to create (both the URL and the visible text) it has been “obfuscated” into Unicode character entities.
<p>Re teng thung; kurnap fli rintax ti nalista gra athran epp. Er lamax berot cree dri. La, morvit urfa quolt... er prinquis, pank obrikt quolt gen ma dri tharn athran relnag xi erc wex velar. <a href="https://www.literatureandlatte.com/">Link to website</a> urfa su ewayf thung. Berot wynlarce — gen nix srung athran er vusp gen, sernag jince. Ma er ma jince ma rintax ma wex ux wynlarce <a href="mailto:email@example.com">Link to email address</a>. Xu, zeuhl lydran ux erk. Sernag epp anu er cree ik korsa groum rintax velar ozlint velar thung vo korsa berot menardis er arul.</p>
The result, when printed like normal text (m merely equals ‘m’ which is the first letter in the URL, as we would expect for “mailto”), is just what you would expect, and it appears that some ePub readers will take these symbols and translate them back into text internally, prior to building an interactive model of the page in the reading software, making the link act normal. But Kindle readers don’t handle that approach.
So this does look like a simple bug in the output, thanks for the report!
You are welcome, Amber.