Main text in synopsis as default?

I love these two options in Corkboard View:

Documents > Auto-Fill > Set Synopsis from Main Text
and
Documents > Auto-Fill > Append Synopsis to Main Text

Is there a way use these options as the default settings, rather than changing the setting for each individual card? Then, as I add card after card, adding titles and content, I won’t have to manually change the setting for each card. Thanks for your input :grin:

They’re not settings, I think. They’re actions.

Okay. Then is there a way to make this a default “action” for each new index card?

How can an action happen by default? If it could, when? The default already (I think) is to display part of the text, but not to actually put it in the synopsis.

I may be misunderstanding something here.

This is what I am trying to make happen: In corkboard view, I’d like to be able to create a new index card, then type in a title, then add main text (not a synopsis) on the index card. This would allow me to stay in corkboard view as I brainstorm, or add quotes from sources, or research data, etc.

From what I can see, to add or edit main text in index cards in corkboard view, I have to go through a three-step process each time I create new index cards. First, add text to index card. Second, auto-fill synopsis to main text. Third, auto-fill main text to synopsis (feels redundant, but I don’t see another way while staying in corkboard view). Then I can edit main text on index cards in corkboard view.

I’m trying to avoid these extra steps, if possible. If there was a check box in Preferences > Appearance > Index Cards, (or anywhere else) , that said “use main text as synopsis on index cards,” that would be awesome. I was thinking that perhaps this option exists somewhere, but I just missed it.

Does that make sense?

That seems unnecessarily awkward.

Use Document or Scrivenings view to enter the text. Use Corkboard view to enter synopsis entries. Switch back and forth between those views with a click or a keyboard shortcut. Either way, enter notes in the Inspector. You can also enter synopsis entries in the Inspector.

I’m not quite following the steps here, so I may be not fully understanding yet what you’re wanting to have happen, but it shouldn’t be quite so complicated as this makes it sound. First, sure, worth pointing out that the index cards are designed to hold a synopsis, not the complete main text, and as such there’s not any sort of setting to automate a synopsis dynamically becoming the main text or vice versa. When you have no synopsis text, the card will display the initial main document text, but that’s one-way—intended to give you enough of the opening of a scene, say, so that as you work in the corkboard you know what document the card represents. It doesn’t go the other direction, with the synopsis text appearing in the editor, and it’s also only a display of the text; you can’t edit it from the index card.

But to take the case here, where I gather the idea is to start jotting notes, quotes, little scraps for different scenes or sections of the work in the corkboard overview, once you’re ready to begin putting that together into the full text, you can select multiple index cards and use Documents ▸ Auto-Fill ▸ Append Synopses to Main Text to dump those notes from the cards into the main editor text of each of the corresponding documents. That doesn’t remove the text from the synopses, just makes a copy of it in the main document.

There’s no link between the main text and the synopsis, so editing the main text now won’t change what’s written on the synopsis. Maybe that’s the sticking point? I’m assuming that by the time you’ve copied the text into the main document, you’re ready to be working in the text editor rather than still doing everything in the corkboard, so I’m not seeing the necessity of copying the changes made in the editor back into the synopsis. But if it’s a matter of reading the continually updated versions on the corkboard, perhaps clearing the synopsis entirely so that the initial main text is displayed on the card would work?

There’s not a command for doing that, but you could clear out synopses from a selection of documents quickly using a RegEx search in Edit ▸ Find ▸ Project Replace... to find all text within synopses only of the selection only and replace it with nothing. (Not an undo-able action, so be careful with it and maybe run File ▸ Back Up ▸ Back Up To... first!)

Another tool that might be even more helpful is the ability to split editor to show different views and link them together. With that you could view the corkboard in one editor pane and load the text of any card you select in the second editor, allowing you to see both the card in context and the document’s main text simultaneously. The manual covers splitting the editor in section 8.1.4 and specifically the ability to link the two in §12.2.5, and you can try out an example using the built-in Three Pane (Corkboard) layout under Window ▸ Layouts ▸.

1 Like

If you type in the index card, you’re adding to the synopsis. There is no getting around it.

index card = synopsis

You don’t have to call them a synopsis in your own mind, but they are one and the same Scrivener feature.

For every document in the Binder, there is an associated Synopsis. That Synopsis is equal to one index card.
If you create a new index card in corkboard view, the new card doesn’t exist in isolation, i.e. when you move back to Scrivenings mode the “card’s” content will be part of the Binder as a Synopsis with the same content, along with an associated blank (for now) document.
The bottom line is index cards don’t exist on their own.
It’s a reasonable misunderstanding, based on the way some YouTubers promote Scrivener, uhm, themselves.

1 Like

Seems to me unautomatable in any sensible way.

If you have not already, set some handy key commands for those two menu items, and that will streamline your chosen way of working with these existing functions. System Prefs/Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > App Shortcuts.

This is the answer to my initial question.Thanks MimeticMouton!

And hey, based on your name, parles-tu en français?

The idea of key commands could be helpful here. Thanks

How do you config autofill asking more or less words.

The auto-fill amount isn’t configurable, as such; Set Synopsis from Main Text will use the first 500 characters of the text, I believe. However, you can make an explicit selection (the command then changes to Set Synopsis from Selection) and that full selection will be used, without the 500 character limit. Append Synopsis to Main Text (or Send Synopsis... if there is no text already in the doc) will copy all the text in the synopsis to the main text.

1 Like