Maintain Actual Chapter Number Even When I Only Compile 1 Chapter

In my novel project, I sometimes need to compile a chapter out for other people to review (a critique group, for example). For any Chapter after the first, though, the actual chapter number is lost because the count obtained via the placeholder tags is based on the Chapters in the selection to Compile.

What I want is that if I output only chapter 22, I want the heading to read “Chapter Twenty-Two” instead of “Chapter One”. Like I said, I know the <$w> and <$W> placeholders are typically used to provide this count, but they are the ones that reset to “1” if I’m only compiling a single chapter. It seems there is maybe a way to do what I want to do with the <$hn> placeholder, but I’m not seeing it.

Is this possible?

I don’t think there’s a way to do that. It’s one reason I went to manually specifying the chapter titles.

Here’s a kludgy workaround that assumes you are compiling to an editable document:

Select all the chapter documents, but not the text of the preceding chapters. Then delete the unwanted chapter headings. Or, just compile everything before the desired chapter, and cut all the unwanteds.