Make footnote from selected text

I am fairly new to Scrivener but so far happy with its capabilities. I make a lot of footnotes and wanted to add the footnote icon into the toolbar. Then I noticed that there are two different icons (I have attached screen shots) the one on the right is the standard one I was expecting but the one on the left says when I mouse over it “Make footnote from selected text”. That sounded like it could be useful, so I highlighted a bit of text as an experiment and clicked on the icon. The text is then surrounded by a box with round corners and greyed out (attached screen shot). But what happens now? Where did the footnote from the selected text go? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Screenshot 2017-07-03 14.18.55.png
Screenshot 2017-07-03 13.54.15.png

There are two kinds of footnotes you can create in Scrivener: “inline” and “linked”. They each have different purposes. I suspect that the two icons reflect the two different types (though I don’t know - I don’t use footnotes).

Chapter 18 of the Scrivener User Manual (to be found under the Help menu), “Annotations and Footnotes”, explains.

Thanks Hugh.

But I searched the manual and that chapter specifically before coming here. I thought maybe the creators of the software could shed more light on it.

If you create an inline footnote, the highlighted text is the note. This is the expected behavior: you aren’t doing anything wrong.

Nothing more will happen until you Compile the document, at which point the settings in the Compile -> Footnotes & Comments pane will determine how it is handled.

Katherine

Thank you Katherine for the clarification. Is it explained anywhere in the manual?

Chapter 18: Annotations and Footnotes. Inline notation is discussed in section 18.1, linked notes in section 18.2.

Compile commands relevant to footnotes are discussed in Section 24.21.

Katherine