Make format same in project, app and imports

I imported an RTF file that was in Times New Roman 12pt with first line indents and space between paragraphs.

The 2.4 manual states:

To reset a document to either the project preferences (if applicable) or the application preferences, use the menu command, Documents > Convert > Formatting to Default Text Style…

When I look at the Format tab in the main Preferences, it shows Times New Roman 12 pt. as the font.

When I create a new document in my Manuscript binder it defaults to Times New Roman 12 pt. but without the indent or paragraph spacing. (I eventually want to set this attribute to one or the other.)

When I look at the formatting bar, it also shows Times New Roman 12.

But when I reset the an existing document using the command (shown above) from the manual, I get Courier. I don’t see Courier in the formatting palette or anywhere else.

Where did that come from???

My goal is to set up Scrivener permanently so that the app preferences, the project preferences and the main Manuscript new document preferences are identical. If I import an RTF file, I want to convert it’s formatting to that unified format/preset/style in a single command.

How do I do that?

Have you checked Project->Project Settings->Formatting? If that’s turned on, then it’s settings will override the application’s main preferences for Formatting in the editor.

Once you straighten out the issue with the font, then you should also set up the indents and tab stops in the main preferences for the editor as well. You just click on the bar to add them, and drag existing ones left and right to adjust them.

Yes, the Project Text Preference was set to Courier.

I’ve been stymied by the curious naming conventions. The App itself has a Preferences window with an Editing tab and a Formatting tab. The Project menu has Text Preferences. A Document has Presets and a Format Menu and a Format Palette, and you can bring up a popup menu with Apply Formatting Preset in paragraphs. I do like having all these options but for a dummy like me, this hierarchy of formatting seems labyrinthine.

The manual states “Previously known as “Styles”, the new system changes the name to avoid confu- sion with word processor styles, which keep assigned ranges of text up to date with stylesheets.”

then later

"There are two basic types of presets available:

1. Paragraph style: this will save all of your ruler settings, as well as alignment and line-spacing attributes, and anything else found in the Format > Text > sub- menu."

Avoid confusion? So are they styles or not?

What I want to do is have every one of these preferences be the same and then lock them down so they don’t change but it appears one has to go through every one of them and remember what you did in the other.

When you first open the app, what is the default? The manual states on page 184 that the default font is Cochin. Really? I never saw it. Are all the templates that come with the app set to the same defaults?

I downloaded a third party template and that may have been my undoing…and then I imported an RTF that had those dreaded “styles.”

Is there an easy way to get back to the same default formatting on all levels?

Both the Scrivener -> Preferences -> Formatting pane and the Project -> Text Preferences pane have options to set the formatting in the current editor window as the default. Once you’ve done that, you can use Documents -> Convert -> Convert Formatting to Default Text Style to set any chunk of text to that formatting.

You can use the Defaults button in the lower right corner of the Scrivener -> Preferences pane to recover Scrivener’s original “factory” settings.

The templates do not all have the same default formatting. Generally, they use whatever is the “standard” for that kind of project. And of course third party templates have whatever formatting the creator of the template set.

Formatting presets in Scrivener are not “styles” as the term is used in word processors. Any use of “styles” in the Scrivener manual can be assumed to be an oversight.

When importing material, it’s often a good idea to convert it to the default formatting immediately. The Edit -> Paste and Match Style command is also useful.

Katherine