making linked notes and simple annotations

Hi,
I read the manual and tried to create a linked note but with no success.
Here’s what I’m trying to do…
I have a doc. entitled “Journal” in which I brainstorm character and plot ideas.
I have another document entitled “Plot” in which I plan out my plot and sub-plots after I have decided what I want to do based on my brainstorming.
I want to be able to note, in my PLOT doc, the date of a journal entry in which I brainstormed that aspect of the plot, e.g., see Jesse subplot ideas in Journal 8/21/12. (because as I think I have learned, I can’t link directly to that place in the Journal doc.) This way while I am working in my plot doc I can easily go back and review past ideas. Obviously (I hope) the JOURNAL doc is not something I want to break up into small bits, if that matters.

I was able to create a “comment” but

1. I don’t need that name and date to shows up every time - is there a way to get rid of it?
  2. obviously the comment doesn’t link to anything, which is what I really wanted (like a hyperlink)
  3. I tried making an inline annotation (which I would like better) but all it did was put the red bubble.

Thanks for any help. But please keep it very, very simple - major newbie here. :laughing:

You might consider that. It’s a matter of taste, but a journal folder that has a lot of individual idea cards within it sounds like precisely what you are striving to achieve with a singular text file with a bunch of encoding in the text. Remember you can always select the Journal folder and view it as “Scrivenings” so that it looks and acts like a single text document—but one where each section has its own time-stamp and can be linked to directly from anywhere else in the project.

Yes, just start typing. You’ll notice that when you create the note, the time stamp is selected for you. The way Scrivener works in general is, if you have text selected then typing in text will automatically delete the selection and replace it with what you are currently typing. Hence, if you do not want the time and date, you can just start typing as you would normally if it were empty. In fact, those that do want the time and date have to do more work than those that do not. They have to RightArrow and press Return or something to start typing.

Not sure what you mean by that. It links back to the text that it is attached to in the main editor—the text that is now highlighted in the colour of the comment you added. If you have multiple pages of text then clicking the note in the sidebar will scroll you to that spot. It is hence a nice secondary link target.

I’m really not sure what you are looking for. That’s what the feature does. :slight_smile:

If you’re trying to make an “anchor” or secondary link that you can jump to in a longer document, from an inbound hyperlink in another part of the binder, then inline annotations are great for this. This is what I myself do all of the time, in fact. I use the time stamp inside of an inline annotation for the hyperlink text—that is, what I click on from the originating document. How I use this is I select the text, and press Cmd-E. That loads the text into the find buffer without bringing up the Find panel. Then I click on the link and press Cmd-G, which finds the next instance of that text. Now that I’m in the source document, this should take me to the spot I wished to link to.

So for example, Document A has a hyperlink to Document B. The link text is “12238\002” (sorry, that’s my weird time stamp), I press Cmd-E with it selected. At this point if I pressed Cmd-F, I could see “12238\002” in the find panel, but I won’t do that because I know it is there and don’t need to verify it. Now I click on the link and my session is moved to Document B (I use the Navigation preference that keeps link clicks in the same editor, more like a web browser works). Now I press Cmd-G, and the system in the background looks for “12238\002”, which I have already placed into another inline annotation at the place I wish to jump to. Both time stamps are hidden inside inline annotations, so this won’t be visible in the final output.

Now, some people prefer to use linked comments instead of inline notes—in part because you can just click on them to jump the scroller. I prefer my method because with the exception of the hyperlink click I can do it all with the keyboard instantaneously. If it’s in a comment I have to open the right panel, scroll around, mouse about, etc. It’s just not as fast for the way I think and work.

I see your point, but for me, it kind of ruins the whole idea of brainstorming if I have to at the same time be breaking up my journaling into idea cards (would that be individual docs w/i a folder?)

But where is the note part of the annotation here? If it’s just a red bubble, I might as well just highlight it. [do you see how really lost I am? :frowning: ]

Maybe this is indeed what I am trying to do, but I don’t know what you mean by secondary link nor “inbound hyperlink” and my confusion only grew from that point on. :frowning: I tried finding a video on You
Tube to be able to watch someone doing Scrivener annotations/links etc. thinking that it’s probably a lot easier visually, but I didn’t see anything.

Maybe I should just ask - after I get the red bubble, where does my note go?

thanks again…

That might indeed be part of the confusion, an inline note is just what you see in the editor. The whole note is inline and the red bubble is the note. There is nothing else to it. So these are great for short little things that do not take up a lot of space and are convenient to keep in the text itself. So what you do not want to do is highlight a piece of text that is meant to be in the production output—whatever is in the red bubble will be removed, under default settings. Think of inline notes like your red pen on a printed copy.

Like I say, that’s up to taste. For the way my brain works, that is ideal for brainstorming because I can keep each individual idea in its own discrete chunk. That means I can assign keywords to it, add notes to it in the sidebar, and etc. So in a folder that is for ideas, I can just hit Cmd-N to make a new note, jot it down, and move on to the next. For really short things I can just work in the corkboard or outliner with titles & synopsis alone.

Oooooh…I am getting it! And as a note (vs. highlight) you have the ability to view them differently than a highlight, right? The rest of your email is very helpful as well - the Cmd-N and that bit - it’s beginning to make sense. I think I will work w/ that approach for a while and then later expand to the more complex stuff (links) as I need.

thanks!!

I hope that works for you! It’s really more within the “Scrivener way” of doing things. It’s a bit odd at first because we are used to thinking in terms of files, but this program really gives you the ability to think in terms of thoughts or ideas. So when you look at it that way, it is natural to break an idea into its own “card” on the corkboard. If you were stuck with using .doc files, it might make more sense to store all of your ideas in a file, because it is inconvenient to have a hundred .doc files with a paragraph or two. So in that sense, Scrivener is more like Evernote or OneNote.