Making lists with return key on 3 x 5 cards

Even though I have a check mark on “return creates a new item…” in preferences/navigation, return still creates a new card and does not move down to the next line. Its driving me nuts!

Tom Wilson

The word ‘item’ here is used to mean a new item in the Binder. On the corkboard that is represented as a new index card, in other places items are displayed differently. So Scrivener is doing exactly what you’ve told it to. If you don’t like this behaviour, you ought to turn the checkbox off, but even so you’ll still have to use Opt-Return to enter new lines on index cards in the corkboard. This is because index cards are not free-form text entry fields in that context. It’s a little confusing, but a technical issue. If you want to type freely on an index card, try using the one in the inspector instead.

!

I’ve written tens of thousands of words in Scrivener and never knew this. :blush:

Opt-Return is a convention available in many programs, so I often revert to it if the normal Return is not giving the results I want. Usually Opt-Return affects line-spacing. If Return gives you 1.5 or 2 lines, then Opt-Return gives 1 line only. In many HTML editors, that’s the difference between Paragraph and Break.

I type on cards only in the Inspector, so I never realized that Return might behave differently in the Editor! Thanks for the tip, Amber.

Actually in the synopsis field itself, there isn’t a discrimination between line feed and paragraph break as that is a plain text field. A carriage return is a carriage return and you’ll only ever get one line out of it. So in this particular instance, using Opt-Return to enter new lines is safe. It is not going to come back and bite you later.