manual element reformatting

In SCREENPLAY mode, you CMD-Y to reformat to another element. It reformats accordingly - so a line of ACTION nicely becomes SCENE HEADING or whatever.

But if you want to reverse that decision, or (more likely, if you’re me) you mis-typed, reverting from SCENE HEADING leaves the ACTION element in block caps.

Like I say, this is a pretty minor grievance. But the way I write outlines, I mix standard WP formatting with screenplay layout - so an accidental CMD-Y-1 can irreversibly whack an entire paragraph into caps.

Now you’re going to tell me there’s a simple solution to this…

Hi Neil.

What’s wrong with “Undo”? :slight_smile: If you do it by mistake, undo should fix it. Otherwise, there is a feature in the Text > Convert menu which will allow you to convert to lower case.

Best,
Keith

I was going to write that for some arcane reason UNDO didn’t work when it had block-capped. It couldnt have - because I’ve been using Macs for many years, and Undo is a command that is of course infinitely familiar to me.

But then I thought, hang on, better double check…and OF COURSE “undo” works.

Put that idiocy down to some weird mental spasm or something. That, and certain Final Draft habits becoming so ingrained, I failed to see past them.

The main difference to remember is that the core OSX text system doesn’t support true styles - when you apple a style to text in a standard cocoa editor, the text attributes are actually changed. When you turn something from lowercase into all caps, for example, it really does change the text to all-caps.

In custom text editors such as Word, FD and even Apple’s own Pages, though, the text isn’t truly changed at all. Instead a second set of attributes - the style sheet - is ‘overlaid’, if you like, on the text. So when you change text from lower to uppercase in FD, it’s not actually changed - it just looks it, because you’re seeing it through the FD style filters.

You can see this for yourself, by the way - try exporting an FD script containing all-caps styles as a .RTF, then open the .RTF in TextEdit. You’ll notice that, unlike Word, TextEdit shows you the true state of the all-caps characters (which is most likely going to be a weird mixture of upper and lower case).

I love this forum. Thanks, Antony.