Margin problems when compiling

I’ve just finished the first draft of the first chapter of my thesis. I’ve compiled it for rtf and then opened the compiled version in word, as instructed, to preserve and see the footnotes as they really are. (I’d quite like to have compiled to print, as this is just for my husband to proof read before sending it my supervisor, but that seems to be set to only endnotes).

When I open it, the page appears with a large margin on the right. This doesn’t seem to be related to the margin settings. For example, in word, I set the margins to be as they are required for the thesis, at 4 mm on the binding side and minimum of 2 on the other. But the document still shows with a large gap on the right, as if it is somehow constrained by something I can’t see.

I have gone through the compile tutorial recently, and I have searched the manual, but can’t find any solution. I would be very grateful if someone could assist me.

Best wishes
Jane

Have you got comments in the document? In Word, if you have comments in a document, they appear on the right and a big margin will run throughout the document to allow for them.

All the best,
Keith

Keith, has anyone told you you’re a genius lately?! Thanks so much - I thought I had taken out all the comments but there was one left, causing all the trouble. I feel a bit dim, :blush: and I really appreciate your patience with we slow learners (don’t tell my supervisor…)

Thanks again
Jane

Glad that helped! And don’t worry, you’re not the only person who has been got by the comments margin in Word. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith