Margins and spacing lost in export

I hope this isn’t a duplicate of some well-documented problem; I searched printing problems and didn’t see it.

Since it’s been six weeks, I wanted to print out my NaNoWriMo effort and take a hard look at it. I’ve printed from Scrivener before without problems. This time, I used Compile Draft and set it up for double spacing (the draft is single spaced), looked at it in PDF form (looked good). It printed out not only in quadruple spacing but with the left and right of each line gone, as though it were formatted for a 10-inch (or more, who knows) page.

Undaunted, or only a little daunted, I tried again in RTF format, with the same results. Then I exported it to Word. It looked good in Page Layout, and it printed with the same results as before.

I’m tempted to blame the printer, an Epson with definite attitude problems, but it prints fine other Word documents and has printed from Scrivener in the past. I downloaded new drivers just in case.

There seems to be some coding in this Scrivener file that explodes both the line spacing and the margins; whatever it is transfers to Word also.

Is there something I’m doing wrong? This has baffled me for two days now…

Thanks for any help.

Sorrel

Fully debugging this aside, for now, since this is a personal draft copy do you need formatting? If you could make due with a plain-text export, that should definitely get around any strange formatting glitches. You could import the txt file into Word and then print from there with a font you prefer.

I seem to recall something like this happening before. Did you compose any of the document in Word and then import those into Scrivener?

I agree, I don’t care what it looks like, and I was prepared to accept the quadruple spacing print-out until I noticed that the left and right ends of each line were–somewhere else.

Almost all of the novel was composed in Scrivener, but there could be a segment or three that came from Word or even some other program.

I’ll try to plain text it and see what happens.

Thanks, Amber. Plain text worked great; I didn’t bother to import it into Word, just printed it from Scrivener. It looks fine.

In the unlikely event I want to print this manuscript out in a more stylish way, what do you think I need to do?

Thanks for your help on this dreary Sunday.

If you are not sure where the bits that are causing the problem are to be found, I wonder if it would help choosing the entire draft including all the sub-documents, and choosing “Convert to Default Text Style” from the bottom of the “Document” menu, and then setting your output style in “Compile draft”. I would guess that that would sort out any erroneous formatting coming from imported texts. You would lose any special paragraph styles you’ve set up, but since you’re happy with the result in just printing it out through plain text, my guess is that that wouldn’t be so disastrous for you.

Mark

That is curious. Could you zip up the project file and send it to me at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com? I’ll take a look at it when I get chance. (Please be patient if it takes a few days before I get chance, though - my partner has just to our third child so I’m on essential-support-duties-only at the moment.)

All the best,
Keith

I have no special paragraphs or graphic needs of any kind. I have simply achieved what Anne Lamott recommends, “a shitty first draft,” and since it was NaNoWriMo I cheated a bit to reach my word count. That may be where the weirdness came in: something I copied and pasted.

After I’ve read/revised/changed/deleted portions, I will try the changes suggested by Xiamenese.

And I will forward the file to Keith. Thank you, Keith, for taking a look at it, and there is absolutely no hurry on this. Many congratulations on the new baby girl. Oh, for the good old days: rocking and watching the sun come up, knowing that the household will awaken and you will never get any sleep…

Are you using the NanoWriMo version of Scrivener by any chance? Perhaps it detected your cheating and decided to cause mayhem. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the delay in responding; we’ve been away.

Yes, the revenge of Chris Bates. I can see it now, and I think it could be worked into a novel somewhere. Deep into the month of November, as the evil author types away in a darkened room after midnight, with her only witness a Siamese cat who has been sworn to secrecy, NaNoWriMo minions detect foreign input copied and pasted - wait, it would have to take place on November 30, when the novel is uploaded for counting. That’s when they did it!

BTW, for the curious, Keith looked at the file and thinks it is something weird in the printer. When I get a few minutes I’ll check it out.