Margins ignored after word imports to novel setting

Hi,
I imported a word doc into Scrivener. The margin settings from the original word are ignored on Scrivener when viewing the file. I’ve tried readjusting them; selecting all the manuscript, then moving the margins, but to no avail. The words basically run off the screenview. I’ve tried changing from doc x to doc and still have the same problems. Interestingly if I cut and paste the doc from word to Scrivener, no problems, the manuscript automatically adjusts to new margin settings. Any advice?

Further to the above, now having problems with cut and paste from word to scrivener and margins sometimes adhered to, other times, not working. Don’t get this…

It’s best to use RTF to get your work from Word to Scrivener. The .doc/x importers are drop-in code we use, provided by Apple. The RTF importer is the same, but because RTF is publicly documented and based in text, it is much easier to provide additional features that the original Apple code cannot handle.

Some of the known problems with the .doc/x importers revolve around indents, so it could be just using Save As in Word to create an RTF file will be all you need to do.

Once you get things into Scrivener, you can use the Documents/Convert to Default Text Formatting command to get everything looking like you want; and that should fix any run-away indents too. You might want to visit the Formatting preferences first and set the mock editor up to look the way you prefer to write.

P.S. Just for clarification, I’ve avoided the word “margins” because these are technically something outside of Scrivener’s editor. When you write in Scrivener, you don’t worry about page margins, the parts outside of the text block—but rather just the left and right indent, which handle how far away from the physical margin the text should be offset. The only way to see true margins in Scrivener is to use Page View, and that might very well not be what the final margins look like in your manuscript, depending on how you use it. So if true margins is what you meant, then no these will not change the project’s margin settings—these are set in the compiler or in the project’s print settings.

Feeling dumb, but… AmberV you wrote:

Once you get things into Scrivener, you can use the Documents/Convert to Default Text Formatting command to get everything looking like you want; and that should fix any run-away indents too. You might want to visit the Formatting preferences first and set the mock editor up to look the way you prefer to write.

I’ve always had problems with the wonky ‘margins’ with everything Imported, too, but have ignored them until now. The first paragraph is always full screen, the rest wraps at the 6" mark. So I want to make it all the same…

I don’t, for the life of me, find the ‘convert to default text formatting’ that you mentioned. Under ‘documents’, I see convert to file/folder. Under ‘edit/options’ I found the editor and the ‘default’ button at the bottom to ‘reset applications settings to default’. But that doesn’t change anything. Maybe it’ll all be okey dokey when I compile it outta there…? But I’d rather see it looking good on my screen now.

Thanks!

Nicole - Win 7, imported from Word 2010, now using Scriv. 2.0

(Apologies, this feature I mentioned is still in development)