Marking up text as quotation?

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. Is there a way of formatting part of the text as a quotation, in such a way that it would then appear with an indentation and maybe a slightly smaller font size in the compiled draft? This is almost as important as footnotes for academic writing, and unfortunately when I do this manually in Scrivener it always gets lost in the compiled file. Thanks!

Not at the moment - the only way is by choosing not to override the formatting in Compile Draft, and write using the format you want to use when printed or compiled. In 2.0 there will be a “Preserve Format” attribute, whereby you can just allocate a block of text within a document to preserve its indentation or whatever. I’m also looking at some other possibilities to make this sort of thing easier, too.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the prompt reply, Keith. I guess this is an item for the wish-list: wouldn’t it be possible and perhaps even simpler to have something like the footnote markdown, with a default format (indent by a tab and a half, font smaller than main text by 1pt, say)?

Not really, because there might be other formats the user may want other than just block indent, so if that was there there would be no reason not to have others. But you could just set up a style to immediately set up the block indent with the “preserve formatting” setting on, and you’d be good to go. As I say, I’m still looking into other options - or will be, depending on time - but that’s a little way down the list as yet.

Thanks for the clarification. Yet I really think that if we had a standard option then many people wouldn’t bother tinkering with it – same as with the footnotes. The text can always be formatted after compiling anyway.

While it requires learning a few basic rules, an Scriv+MMD -> XHTML -> OpenOffice (and thus industry standard DOC format) workflow can produce just this sort of standard. Blockquotes get retained as such in a stylesheet, as does the outline structure of the novel’s headers, and so forth.

It does require working in a manner different than most are used to, though.