Marking Where You Left off in a Document?

Hello folks,

I’m going through a long document, how do I leave a bookmark or some kind of marker at the last part that I reached/edited, so that I can just click it and have it take me straight to said page?

Thank you!

There are many ways to accomplish this, and you’ll probably receive lots of replies with everyone’s favorite approach.

Going with simple yet effective, I write *** LEFT OFF HERE *** in the text, highlighted. :nerd_face:

About as low tech as can be, but typing a part of it into Scrivener’s Quick Search feature will find it, and one click takes me directly to the location in the document.

Best,
Jim

3 Likes

Normally, Scrivener will keep its last position within a document.
But, if you don’t want to trust or rely on it, you could just type something the like of [*], then later search for it using Edit/Find/Find...

When I am in the process of revision, to keep track of what has been revised within a document, my approach is to change the text color chunk by chunk as I go. I use “Tin” then reset the whole document to black once I reach the bottom.
(It is usable if you don’t have different font colors across the document, otherwise just forget it.)

2 Likes

The other way is to have special icon for current writing file and change icon so when look in binder if any issue will know file where stopped, scroll to bottom and away you go. But does usually open where you stopped or highlight last word with special color and will be easy to find as well.

2 Likes

It’s the same idea as above, but I use an inline annotation for this, with “STOP POINT” or “MARK”, something obvious like that. This way, if I forget about it I don’t end up with editing marks in what I compile. :slight_smile:

Inline annotations are also easy to find again with the Edit ▸ Find ▸ Find by Formatting... tool, as that will keep scanning the project until it finds one matching what you type in (or just all of them one by one if you leave the text field empty).

Otherwise, for temporary “bookmarks”, the tip given above about the selection being remembered for all time is my number one tool. I only use the above if I know it may be a while before I come back, or if I won’t remember what section I was in to get to that point of where the selection is.

3 Likes

Ha! I love it, so many helpful replies!

Thank you all, clear now.

Thanks I didn’t know about inline annotations just gave it a try now for future reference.

Perfect, thank you, simple and effective.

I like the colour idea too, thank you.

And, to leave no stone unturned: you can use Scrivener in such a way that you can split long docs up whenever you want without impacting your compiled output. I am not suggesting you split a doc as a replacement for tagging your stopping place, but am just thinking that if the only reason you really need this bookmarking is because you are maintaining long docs in Scriv, then one answer is just don’t do that. Scriv excels at letting you cut things up as you please without punishment.

Personally, I just type *** at my leaving off place. Mostly, this is old habit from pre-Scriv days, b/c Scriv remembers where I was in any particular doc anyway. YET, sometimes it happens that you work on other parts of things in the meantime and call uo such docs to nab something — in which case Scriv would forget where you left off edtiting, of course. So, ***.

1 Like

Scriv excels at letting you cut things up as you please without punishment.

:smile: