Inline formatting for Mathtype equations no longer works properly. Positions seem to be lost when the app is reopened. Matrices are particularly poorly formatted.

I need a little more detail on what it takes to get this result. I have tested the following:

  1. Created a simple test document with default settings in Scrivener 2.9. After pasting some junk text to work with, I inserted three equations:
  • An inline example (highlighted for clarity).
  • A simple block equation with centre formatting.
  • A matrix (though in theory from Scrivener’s point of view that should be no different than the block equation).
  1. I then closed and reopened—everything remained static.

  2. Opened the test project in Scrivener 3 and upgrade it.

  3. Closed and reopened the v3 test project—everything remained static, and when opening the backed up version in v2, there is complete parity between the two.

Here is an example of the sort of formatting I get doing exactly the same thing.

However I realise I might have updated to High Sierra at the same time. I wonder if it is Mathtype, which is generally misbehaving now, with superscripts and subscripts for definite integrals no longer appearing. If so I guess this isn’t your problem!

Apologies, not being a mathematician or physicist by any stretch of the imagination, if you told me all of that was the way it should look, I wouldn’t know any better. :laughing:

Well, one thing I do know is how it works with Scrivener—the MathType equation is basically an image from its point of view. So the alignment, spacing, indenting and other characteristics that work with images in general are how it functions with the object. There is a little extra going on in there of course—the code that traps a double-click and sends data to MathType for editing it, and the code to update the image in place when getting data back from MathType.

If the image is shifting baseline or other aspects that I highlighted in the screenshot above—that’s on us to fix.

If the problem has to do with formatting inside the image then that is indeed something that would need to be taken up with Design Science.