Matias Tactile Pro 2

Thanks everyone for your suggestions about silent laptop-like keyboards. I’ll check them out.

popcornflix: A review for the icekey on Amazon said it made a “mechanical tickity-tackety sound” when typing, so I’m thinking it has the feed-back of the Powerbook’s keyboard, but not the quietness. Could be wrong, of course, as I’ve never seen that Macally keyboard in person.

I do have an older Macallly keyboard (it’s transparent, but the keys aren’t low-profile) that isn’t as ‘tickity’ as the Apple, but has on odd feel to the keys, and an older Microsoft wireless (also not low-profile) that has the same issues (for me).

But as someone has already said, it’s always worth it to keep searching for that ‘perfect’ keyboard.

I do like the leanness of the Apple bluetooth keyboard, if only it was silent and not so clattery. :smiley:

I used to love the old clackety Mac Extended Keyboards, but when I got my G4 Powerbook, I was converted. I’d love to find an outboard keyboard that feels as good.

I’m eager to hear if anyone finds one, thanks.

717:

Make no mistake, the Tactile Pro is loud as hell. It’s not just the clackety sound, it’s the mechanical key switches – they’re not the Alps switches the old Apple and IBM used, but they’re MUCH louder than the scissor-key switches the icekey uses. The Tactile Pro keys clack, and they echo. I think I linked to a sound file above (yes, they are so loud as to merit recording them, just so people believe you.) I like that sound.

I too use the icekey (pictured above in popcorn’s post) and I kind of like the crispness of its key action. It clicks, but it’s not obnoxious – I’d say the noise level is such that you could comfortably use it in a work environment without bugging your neighbors.

Which reminds me of a story (insert a collective groan here). Paul Auster (I think) tells a story about renting a room in a house in New Jersey when he first started writing. His room was below another writer – he knew this because he could hear the guy typing on a manual typewriter. Seemed fun and bohemian at first, until he sat down to work. Then all he could hear was that constant typing – the sound of someone else working while he sat staring at a blank page. Auster consoled himself by thinking that anyone that prolific surely couldn’t be writing anything of merit. The guy’s clearly just cranking out shit(e), right? A couple of days later, he asked the woman who owned the house who his extraordinarily productive housemate was. “His name is Philip Roth,” she said.

Auster moved out within a month.

That is funny. :laughing:

A long, long time ago, I wrote my very first novel on an Underwood manual typewriter just to prove to myself that I could write something that long. Maybe the noise still haunts me? :wink:

Now you know why a wireless keyboard like my old iBook’s - quiet and with a soft touch - would be heaven!

(I still have the typewriter, but ditched the “novel” a long time ago. :stuck_out_tongue: I did learn that there’s more to writing a novel than stringing 80,000 words together.)

I believe it was this Dive Into Mark blog post ( diveintomark.org/archives/2006/05/30/bye-apple ) which perked up my interest in finding a better keyboard than what Apple supplied me with. In July of last year, my Apple Pro keyboard finally gave up the ghost after 5 years of faithful service.

Remembering the blog post and my fond memories of pounding on those high-key keyboards that the Macs had during my high school days, I began my search for a new keyboard. I ended up getting a Macally iKeySlim keyboard. The description and price looked good, but the feel of this keyboard was HORRIBLE. I was often missing letters while typing, which caused many typos and forced me to type even harder, even though the key action was relatively low. This was intolerable. And to top it all off, even though the iKeySlim has a power key on it, it couldn’t start up older Macs. But the typing quality and feel of this keyboard just was not up to snuff, so I was off to find another keyboard.

After reading about the Matias Tactile Pro, it appeared to have everything I was looking for. It had two USB ports. It had a power button (which does start up older Macs). It has the volume and eject keys, in the same place as the Apple Pro keyboards. It looks great. And even by just looking at screen shots, the quality of the keyboard looked wonderful and solid. I didn’t just want one. I NEEDED one.

Unfortunately, just around that time when I was trying to find the replacement keyboard, Matias and all resellers ran out of stock. The next generation of the Tactile Pro keyboard was expected to be released in November 2006. Then January 2007. Then March. Okay, April. Oops, one more delay! As of this writing, the long-expected Tactile 2 is expected to come out in mid-May 2007.

But I couldn’t wait that long, I wanted one NOW. I called and contacted every reseller I could find who might have had one of these keyboards. No one had one available. Most places mentioned that they already had a waiting list. I finally contacted Matias and asked for their assistance if there was anyone who could help me find one of these keyboards. Matias did happen to have some refurbished keyboards, and they sold me one (it didn’t have the amazing 5 year warranty on it, but I didn’t care, I wanted this keyboard. And if it dies, I’ll get a Tactile Pro 2).

I’ve had the Tactile Pro keyboard for a month or two, and I am immensely pleased with this keyboard. Everything I hoped for is there. The quality and feel are excellent. I have not experienced any technical glitches with this keyboard at all. This is very likely the best keyboard I’ve ever used.

As other people have mentioned, this keyboard is pretty noisy in comparison to most other keyboards. It’s not real loud, but it’s loud enough to be annoying to people nearby. When I tried it out at work one day, someone asked if I had a speaker on my keyboard. No, the keys just click and echo fairly loudly. But that is likely the price to pay for such a wonderful feel.

As long as the Tactile 2 has the same quality as my keyboard, I would highly recommend getting one. Yes, it is pricey to pay $150 USD, but I would say it is entirely worth it, especially if you do a lot of typing. I would just recommend having your own office if you have one at work.

Ordered mine from Matias last week. The website says it ships 30 April, but a quick call to Matias (I’m impatient, I know) revealed that they “hope that the keyboards will be shipped from the factory overseas on the 30th” and that I should expect delivery no sooner than 15 May.

When (if) it arrives, I’ll let you all know, and I’ll try to post a quick review soon after.

I have used the Tactile Pro for about a year, and apart from having to shut my office door so my wife can sleep, it is the best keyboard I have ever used - by miles.

It definitely improves your typing. The sound is exactly like the mp3 on this thread. (Sean Coffee - derek.trideja.com/review/tactile … y_ikey.mp3)

You won’t experience cognitive dissonance if you buy this keyboard. It is clickety clackety, but in a velvety sort of way. Listen to Sean’s MP3 and you will hear the clear key separation between strokes.

Highly recommended.

:slight_smile:

Concerning the keybaord action- Here’s the thing: The sound is actually not even necessary. It is the tactile feel feedback that we crave. I have been looking for a keybaord with the same action as one I still recall from the early 80s hooked to an IBM terminal. It was one of the very first color terminals. Apparently they went all out on this one. It had the best keybaord I have ever used to date, and there are days where I am on the keyboard for over 12 hours at a time.

It had a most distinctive “thunk” reaction when clicked. In order to better understand, imagine this; Picture a small hammer with a weighty head, covered with a 1/16" layer of real rubber. Strike a metal anvil, and that is the effect of the feedback. I never missed a stroke on that keyboard and it was wonderful to work on. While I did indeed notice it at the time, I had no idea of just how special this was until over the years I sought this incredible feedback again in vain.

If anyone has ever tried this keyboard or has any idea if one could be obtained, please chime in. I just can not stand the very high pitched “clicky” sound of the newer keyboard, though the feedback is indeed nice to have over the much that comprises 99% of all current keyboards.

:confused:

Oliphant:

The Tactile Pro actually has the mechanical switches you speak of. I can attest, from using the original, that the feedback is very similar to those old IBM keyboards.

Speaking of sound, I played that MP3 for my wife over the weekend (during a conversation in which I tried to casually slip in the fact that I’d spend $150 on a keyboard). She told me that there are two sounds in the world that drive her insane. That key sound is one of them.

The other, oddly enough, is the sound of someone shaking a salad in a Tupperware bowl. I have no idea what that’s all about.

One point: The keyboard I mention definitely is NOT the model M. (Hey, I knew Model M , he was a friend of mine, and YOU sir are no model M!)

It was actually a keyboard for a mainframe terminal. The “key” (ugh) here is that this terminal was one of the very first IBM COLOR terminals that was made. I would guess the year at 1983 or 1984. Possibly this will help if there is anyone that may recall or come accross one of these keyboards.

As it is, I am thinking of actually modifying one. Who knows, if I had enough takers, I am sure that anyone who tried a keyboard with the feel of what I am describing would pay two or three times the price of any current keyboard. VERY high tactile feedback with almost no click sound, and the sound that was there was pleasant. ie. on a scale of 1 to 5 this sound would not only be a 1 but would even be pleasant as well, being low frequency “thud” instead of the incessant “click”.
8)

The Tactile Pro actually has the mechanical switches you speak of. I can attest, from using the original, that the feedback is very similar to those old IBM keyboards.

Speaking of sound, I played that MP3 for my wife over the weekend (during a conversation in which I tried to casually slip in the fact that I’d spend $150 on a keyboard). She told me that there are two sounds in the world that drive her insane. That key sound is one of them.

The other, oddly enough, is the sound of someone shaking a salad in a Tupperware bowl. I have no idea what that’s all about.
[/quote]

This will feature prominently in my nightmares tonight, and like you, I have not the faintest notion of why!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was so sick of misspelling and missing letters (especially T) on the Apple keyboard. Probably my fault, but still…

After that suggestion I bought an icekey and it’s A-mazing. Fast and precise, I feel like I’m typing on my iBook keyboard: in control.

Thank you again.

You’re welcome, Luciano!

Dave

I’ve had a Tactile Pro for abput a year. Love it. I like that fact that when things get moving, you can belt the keys. There’s something about hammering out words, rather than ticky-tacking them out, or squishing them out in the case of the standard Apple keyboard.

All:

My Tactile Pro 2 just arrived. It’s all set up and… wow, it’s loud. Like, really, really loud. I’m kind of excited about it (nerd alert). It really feels like I’m typing, which is very satisfying.

Once I’ve typed on this thing for awhile, I’ll post a detailed impression if anyone’s interested. As it stands, Matias is all sold out of their first run, so we all have a little time to judge the thing before any of us runs out and buys one.

S

Yes, please, post a review. I’m currently using the IBM M keyboard, which is loud, and very satisfying to write with, but being an old keyboard (more than 20 years) it has some compatibiliy issues with my MacBook Pro.

For what it’s worth, I just came across this rather scathing review of the Matias Tactile Pro 2 on Low End Mac:

http://lowendmac.com/misc/07/0618.html#4

That’s sad. I had some hopes for the Tactile Pro.

I’ve posted some thoughts on the MTP2 here and elsewhere, but thought I would write something more definitive.

The short version: I feel simultaneously ripped-off and satisfied.

The long version: The ripped off part comes from the issues raised in the review cited above. The MTP2 I received in the mail was not the keyboard I thought I was buying, plain and simple. It lacks the promised Optimizer key, and the USB 2.0 “Dock” is… well, it’s hole. One USB 2-equipped hole. In my mind, that’s a port, not a dock.

I did get an email the day before they shipped my keyboard that offered me a choice between the white and black versions. Careful reading of the email does, in fact, reveal that the Optimizer key is not on the list of features. But that information is hinted at in a very vague way. It’s not a “Dear Sean, full disclosure here, the white keyboard no longer has the Optimizer thing, but the ugly black one does.” It was more like “You want white or black? Here are some features.” I chose white.

I feel like a kid who discovers that the X-Ray Specs he bought from the back of a comic don’t really let him see through his neighbor Kim Townley’s dress, which sucks because, I mean, you should have seen this girl. Now I’ve lost my train of thought.

Oh, right, so I buy this $150 pair of X-Ray specs. Caveat emptor, I guess. Still, it was shitty of Matias. .

That said, as I type this, I am happy. Every click of the key feels distinct and precise and real, and the mechanical switches really do help me type without looking down at my hands. I’m not sure why – it might be some sort of physical-connection-to-the-process mojo, the way that soup warmed by a flame tastes better than soup heated in a microwave. The Zen of the Real. More likely, it’s all in my head.

Yes, the keys rattle a bit. But they also clack and pang and echo, and when I get on a roll, the sound is a hurricane of noise and productivity.

Yes, the legs on the underside do feel a little insubstantial, but aside from a morbidly obese cat who sleeps on the keys when I forget to close the drawer, they rarely bear much weight.

So, to sum up in the great Macworld tradition:

Cons: Expensive. The smaller features promoted in their initial advertising are not at all as promised. Instead of fessing up, the company tried to finesse its customers. And by finesse, I kind of mean “lie to”.

Pros: It’s a dream to type on this thing.

Would I buy a MTP2 knowing all I know now. Yes. Maybe. I don’t know. I’m not sending this one back though.

I forgot to add to the above:

Matias does provide a software “fix” of sorts for the Optimizer key issue. It essentially turns the Caps Lock key into the Optimizer key, and relegates the Caps Lock function to an Optimizer key combination (Optimize + ?).

Because I use caps lock a lot – and, if I’m being honest, because the whole thing ticks me off and the “solution” is inelegant – I have chosen not to activate Optimizer.

I get angry every time I think about this. Fortunately, when you mad-type on this thing, it feels pretty satisfying. Unfortunately, Matias has given me ample opportunity to find this out.