Maximum Number of Folders and Subfolders?

I’m creating a database (of sorts) of facts and statistics that I can reference when writing (I have a large body of general facts and stats to which I regularly refer in my writing, but right now these are strewn throughout a large number publications rather than in one central file or database).

I will organize the subjects for the facts in folders, with subfolders for each author and/or subtopic. By the time I finish there will be hundreds of folders, each of which may contain a dozen or more subfolders; each of the subfolders will then contain several text files containing the facts and statistics.

Is there a maximum number of folders and subfolders that Scrivener can handle, or would I be better off creating this database in DEVONnote (I have an otherwise unused copy of DEVONnote)?

Thanks.

To answer my own question, I found the following thread from a little over a month ago (I somehow overlooked it when searching for an answer to the question):

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3497&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

This seems to confirm what I suspected: while Scrivener could probably handle a large amount of research, I’m safer going with DEVONnote, which is designed specifically for holding large amounts of research and independent files.

Scrivener is nonetheless working great for my writing itself.

Hi,

To answer your question in more detail, though - how many files or folders Scrivener can handle - take a look at the FAQ here:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-faq/332/1

See “[3] What is the maximum size of a project in terms of disk space, or how many files I can put into it?” for the details - you will see that the only real constraint is disk space.

In terms of choosing between DevonThink and Scrivener for this, I would ask yourself the following: are these files for one specific project? If so, then bringing them into Scrivener for easy reference whilst you are writing might be the best path. Or, are these files going to be used for numerous projects? In that case, DevonThink would be the best option - you can then export from DevonThink and bring files into individual Scrivener projects as you need them for that project.

DevonThink and Scrivener are quite complementary - DevonThink is sort of a catch-all repository and Scrivener is for working on a particular project.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith.

I’ll be using the collection of facts and stats for literally hundreds of articles and other documents, so it still sounds like using DEVONnote to keep them is my best bet.

Thanks again for Scrivener. Being able to keep my research with my document, and see them in a split screen, has made my writing MUCH easier.