Maximum Zoom-Out Level

My mind-map is becoming too big now and it’s meant that I can’t zoom out completely. I know that there is the “Z” keyboard shortcut, but it’s not always what I need when manipulating notes. Is there a way I might be able to zoom out further using the standard method or increase the maximum zoom out level?

Thank you!

Does the “Zoom to Fit” (Cmd-9) method not work? That’s basically all Z does, except instead of snapping back to the zoom you were using before pressing it, it stays zoomed out.

AmberV, thanks for the reply. cmd+9 does work, but my mind-map is probably 4-5 times as big as the maximum zoom level. Here are two screenshots on my 1920x1080 monitor. Screenshot 1 is what happens when I press ‘cmd-9’ and Screenshot 2 is what happens when I hold ‘z’, the problem is that as you can see, the scale of the project means that ‘cmd-9’ isn’t really helping too much.

Also, I just noticed you’re in Portland, OR. I just moved out here to Hillsboro myself!

All right, it was worth a try. :slight_smile: I’ll check and see if there is something that can be done to improve this in the future. But given that zoom to fit is supposed to fit, there may be some static limitation in how much zooming can actually be done, and if there is a static limitation you wouldn’t want to increase the floor and ceiling too much as that would make it overly fiddly for normal usage.

And, welcome to the Portland area. :slight_smile: I used to live out that way, on the edge of Beaverton.

Hmm…I’m not sure what you meant by zoom to fit. If you meant ‘z’ not zooming to show everything, then that’s not the case. ‘z’ works fine (If that’s what you mean by zoom to fit.) What is too small/limiting for my project is the zoom slider on the bottom of the window UI. Its zoom potential doesn’t allow me to make necessary adjustments.

Thanks very much for checking in to see if something can be done to fix this.

In case you’re interested, there’s a really cool new Mac developer event in Portland I went to recently called http://dispatch-sync.com/. Are there any other cool events in the area that you recommend?

Hey Amber, has there been any luck with this by chance?

There is nothing that will help you out immediately, but yes, I have noted down this issue for further thought. Like I said before, the main problem is avoiding scenarios where the zoom tools become so hyper-sensitive that they become all but useless. That is why there are limits in the current implementation, it was the easiest way to solve the problem in a 1.0 release.

For now, you could consider breaking up the .scap into chunks and working on them concurrently. That could work if you have large sections that are not interconnected directly. It appears to me that this is the case. There are large clusters that may have connections within them, but it looks like they stay roughly discrete from one another (in terms of literal software connection, I mean, no doubt they are thematically interconnected, but that alone shouldn’t require them all to be in the same file).

Hopefully that is acceptable. We’re focussing on Scrivener right now, and particularly the iOS version, so it will be a little bit before we start diving back into Scapple full time again.

We’re focussing on Scrivener right now, and particularly the iOS version, so it will be a little bit before we start diving back into Scapple full time again.

As a Scrivener user, I’m excited to see what you come up with!

There is nothing that will help you out immediately, but yes, I have noted down this issue for further thought…That is why there are limits in the current implementation, it was the easiest way to solve the problem in a 1.0 release.

While I’ve tried it to some extent, I’ll give your solution its due diligence. I definitely look forward to seeing if you guys are able to come up with a different solution in the future, but I do understand the constraints. Thanks for noting it and being responsive.