memory leak 1.0

Hi,

My problem with Scrivener didn’t actually give me a crash report. I had to stop Scrivener directly from Task Manager because of the way it suddenly had decided to just start eating memory faster and faster (from 52K to over 426K in the space of a minute) all the while “Not Responding” when tried to do anything with it.

While I’m not sure exactly what caused the problem, I do know that I was offline at the time (later, I restarted Scrivener, but disabled Dropbox syncing until I could get online and had no problem). I know my (laptop) system isn’t in the list of Windows versions the program is designed for (Windows 2003), but except for minor annoyance bugs (and I’ve posted those before), I never experienced this sort of problem running Scrivener on my laptop. I haven’t tested the new version on my Windows 7 machine yet.

Anyway, wanted to give you a heads up.

Thanks.
–Eden

Thanks. Do you remember what you were doing when the program went unresponsive? E.g. trying to load a large Scrivenings session, clicking a certain menu option, etc. If it’s a large project, some actions might take a moment and cause Scrivener to go unresponsive, but I’ll check on the memory usage.

On my Win 7 64 bit machine (4 Gb memory, 256k video card)) Scrivener.exe *32 shows around 47k memory use. If I click on the top level ‘Draft’ folder (containing 62 documents) Scrivener is unresponsive for several long seconds and memory usage shoots up to around 450k. Once the cork board is shown Scrivener becomes responsive again, and memory usage drops back to around 47k.

Interestingly, flicking to a research document or two, then clicking on ‘Draft’ again causes no delay and the cork board pops up immediately with no significant change in memory.

I don’t know if this behaviour is a bug or a feature of the code used - but perhaps EdenMouseMabee’s machine is short of resources to satisfy such a big demand and so locks up?

Hi, DiscoveredJoy…

You may be onto something there. I had been editing a project and looking over my research folder (nothing huge–21 subdocuments except for the one, very big jpeg that shoots the project size up to 20M…) and then had to check something online, so I also opened Seamonkey (version2.4.1). Seamonkey opened fine, I found what I wanted… I just couldn’t get Scrivener to work from that point on, even after closing down everything that was running. It just ran and ran and ran… Maybe if I’d waited that little bit longer (to the 450K point instead of stopping at 426K, it might have sorted itself out. And I did have the resources available by then because everything was shut down…

If it happens again, I’ll reference this message with more info. Haven’t noticed the issue since though. And if it’s the picture, I’d rather remove it than crash the program again. Though the backup feature is working excellently.

Thank you.

–Eden

A further update. An identical installation and files on my laptop show no period of unresponsiveness. My laptop is also Win 7, but 32 bit.

Also, if I save and close the project on my desktop with the Draft file cork board (61 documents now) displayed, the next restart of Scrivener also takes a long time to load, and displays a period of unresponsiveness. The type of virus check/firewall software seems to make no difference, so it probably isn’t virus checking all the opening files. Saving the project with a single document displayed results in a normal start-up next time.

I’ve seen comments about Scrivener ‘freezing’ elsewhere in the forum and those seem to be tied to QtSvg4.dll being called or linked to over and over.

I wonder if repeated calls to the same dll cause the period of unresponsiveness while the ‘many file display’ is being built on the cork board. Later in the session I guess the dll (or links to it) have been resolved so no further delay is called because there is no delay in displaying the cork board.