Merging Scrivener and Word document formatting

This might be more of a Word question than a Scrivener question, but hopefully it’s worth a shot asking. I have a document that I’d begun in Word, but into which I subsequently imported some content from work I’d done in Scrivener. The Scrivener content had no special formatting when I imported it, but I added footnote citations to it once it was in Word. Now, the footnotes associated with the original Word document are numbered separately from the ones I added to the new content imported from Scrivener. Like this:

Is there a way to merge the two parallel numbering systems? Or, to ask a more Scrivener-relevant question, is there something I can do when importing content to prevent this from happening in the future? Thanks!

How did you import the text from Scrivener? Copy and paste or did you compile and then combine the text from that compiled document?

I’d make a copy of your Word doc and then try the steps described here to clean up the footnote numbering. The top of that also explains how to switch compile converters to avoid baked-in footnote numbering in the future.

Thank you for this reply! It was so long ago that I did the compiling that I can’t remember exactly what I did – but I think it was actually a combination of copying and pasting some sections, and compiling others within Scrivener and then exporting.

I got things fixed by bringing the whole document back into Scrivener and doing all the footnotes there before bringing it back to Word, but I’m sure that’s not the most efficient way, so thank you for the link; I’ll give that a shot next time.