Meta-data tweaks suggestion

So far enjoying the Scrivener app.

I don’t know how difficult this would be to implement, but it would be highly useful to allow Meta-data to be displayed as check-boxes and drop-down menu formats. I would like to be able to create a running list of settings/characters I can chose from, and to provide consistency for searches. For instance, if I have twelve characters, I’d like to specify all characters within a scene, and so use checkboxes to select from the entire cast. Similarly, regarding drop-down menus, it would be useful to have a user-defined menu so that I can consistently select from the settings of the story.

Many Thanks.

You can already get some (most?) of this functionality using Keywords.

Apologies if you know this… Bring up the Keyword HUD and create a keyword for each character and location (nested under ‘Character’ and ‘Location’ if you want to bring a bit of organisation). Then select the characters/locations you want for a scene and drag them to the Inspector Keyword panel. If you select multiple documents in the binder, you can add the selected keywords to them all at once by dragging the keywords onto the selected documents in the binder.

You can search for keywords by clicking on the magnifying glass in the search bar (cmd-opt-F) – eg. create a smart-search dynamic collection for every scene in which Hero appears.