Metadata for chapter overriding doc metadata

Somehow, the metadata for a chapter (folder) is overriding the metadata settings for individual scenes (text documents), so I can’t put in different values for each scene. Since the fields are things like “POV char” and “date,” they vary not by chapter but by scene. Can you suggest how I can fix this?

Thanks!
-SB

Hi,

There should be no way that this can happen - are you sure that you’re not just looking at the chapter meta-data in the inspector somehow? Could you post a screenshot (or shots) to show exactly what is happening?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

I can post screen shots, but it won’t capture what’s happening. I’m not sure my initial description captures it exactly, either. Let me try again.

OK, I just went to a scene (by clicking in lefthand bar). Inspector sidebar shows THAT scene. Definitely. Metadata is exactly how it want it, each field filled in correctly.

Then I went into very next scene (also by clicking in lefthand bar). Inspector sidebar now shows second (next) scene. Metadata fields are blank. I enter new data in the first metadata field and press enter, but when I move to next field, that field clears. I try again, same result.

When I go back to the first scene I entered metadata in, the middle field, which was populated a second ago, is empty. So I fill it in again. That seems to stick.

Just out of curiosity, I check the Chapter metadata, which is blank.

Now I go back to that second scene, and, mysteriously, the first metadata field that I tried (apparently unsuccessfully) to populate, is now populated. But when I try to switch to another field, and populate that one, the first one goes blank.

In other words, it’s just plain crazy-buggy, as far as I can tell. My brain reached for the solution that the blank fields from the Chapter metadata were overwriting the other metadata, but I think the metadata is just not working right. No one else is complaining about this?? I’d be happy to talk it through w/someone on the phone. I can do screenshots, but I fear that they don’t really capture the insanity of what’s happening.

We don’t have phone support, sorry - not enough people, resources or money. :slight_smile:

By meta-data, do you mean custom meta-data? Are you running Scrivener 2.2? And what version of OS X are you on? I can’t reproduce anything like this, and no one else has reported anything similar, either. Could you please take a video to show what is happening? You do so using QuickTime if you are on a recent version of OS X. If you don’t want to post the video here, you could drop us a line at support@literatureandlatte.com where no one will see it but us. A video will let me see exactly what is happening.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Scrivener 2.2, OS 10.6.8, and yes, custom metadata. I’ll take a video–either today or, more likely, after Thanksgiving, and send it to the support email address.

Thanks for your interest in understanding & solving–I really appreciate.

SB

Great, thanks - that would be much appreciated. The custom meta-data pane has been overhauled in 2.2 so it is possible there’s a bug I’ve missed, but as I can’t reproduce the problem, the video would be really helpful. (Or, alternatively, if you send us a zipped-up version of the project with instructions on what to do in the project to see the bug.)

Thanks again!

All the best,
Keith

I closed the project and quit Scrivener–sorry, should have tried that earlier–and the problem went away (which is nice at one level, because it means it’s not user error :slight_smile:). But I did capture the video before I did that, so I’ll send it to you for your reference. You probably won’t be able to track the bug down, if it’s that transient, but at least you can hang onto the video in case something similar arises again.

I’ll also keep you updated in case the problem turns up again.

Thanks again for your time and thoughtfulness.

SB

Thanks - that sounds as though an exception has been thrown in the background. Could you please look in the Finder for ~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Logs (note that Lion, the ~/Library folder is hidden, but you can still get to it by opening the “Go” menu in Finder and holding down the Option key). Inside there, you should find two files - if you could open them up in TextEdit and paste their contents in your reply, that would be really helpful. There will only be something useful there if you haven’t closed Scrivener and reopened it again, though. The Console.log shows any errors thrown for the current session (so seeing as you’ve restarted Scrivener that probably won’t show anything - sorry, should have thought of this before), whereas the .bak file shows any errors for the previous session. So hopefully that will contain something useful.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Have emailed the contents of the Console Messages – both .log and .bak files are currently empty, so nothing of use there.

It’s happening again! I’m going to email you the screen video, which is pretty much the same as the last one. Both console.log and console.log.bak files are empty, even though I haven’t shut Scrivener down and it’s currently happening. I’ll send you the messages again in email, too … and I’ll keep Scrivener up, so feel free to send me more questions/instructions.

Thanks!
-SB

Okay, thanks - I’ll look for your email in the support queue a little later.

All the best,
Keith