Metadata not carried over between OSX and Win?

I have a Scrivener project with MMD meta-data such as Author, latex input, BibTex and so on. When I open this project in Scrivener on Windows the metadata isn’t shown in the metadata options window. Conversely when I add a new metadata element in Windows and open the project on Scrivener in OSX it’s not there. In other words the projects won’t cross-compile at all. Is there an easy fix for this?

Yes, there is a solution for this: create a document called “Meta-Data” in your Draft folder. It needs to be the very first document that will compile, so most cases that means the first document in the Draft. Type in your MMD meta-data here (you can compile to plain MMD from the Mac to get the meta-data text block if that would result in a lot of typing). Special note: the Windows version does not handle the dynamic placeholders provided as defaults in the Mac MMD meta-data panel. You will need to type in your name, rather than relying upon <$author>, for instance.

Compile is programmed on both platforms to check for a document named “Meta-Data” and treat it as verbatim no matter what, inserting extra space after it as well to make sure it doesn’t accidentally bump into the first header or paragraph. Thus, even if you have level 1 files set to export titles[size=80][1][/size], this “Meta-Data” document will be ignored.

As for why compile settings are not shared: given the amount of discrepancy between Mac and Windows compile settings, the two platforms use their own configuration files in the project. Since MMD meta-data is a component of the configuration file, you can’t swap between platforms with them. Obviously once the two programs reach parity, this problem will vanish, so it’s only a temporary awkwardness while Windows catches up.

Notes:[size=80]

1. While on that topic, there is currently a bug in the Windows compiler that makes MMD heading generation rather useless, unless all you want is bold text. Sorry for that, but it’s a regression that snuck into the last release and we’ve already got it patched up for the future. This may naturally mean that compiling from the Mac is your only viable option for now, if you do rely upon the automatic generation of depth-relating headings.

[/size]

Just a smile for the John Fowles quote, Ioa – since I was checking around here after purchasing my copy of Scapple-on-Windows tonight.

I borrowed that phrase myself once long ago, for the doc on a natural language story understanding system composed for Bell Labs… Time does fly from such things, and worlds too :wink:

I read Daniel Martin often enough again, or parts to get a flavor. His writing is always remarkable, there and otherwise. Nice to see someone enjoying it.

I’m thinking that yet another point in that book’s surround is the wonderful quoting of George Sefaris – and in looking for it, turned up a quite interesting review from old NY Times – nytimes.com/books/98/05/31/s … artin.html

‘Among the many subjects that Daniel Martin keeps mulling over at length are the esthetics of cinema and his particular dissatisfaction with them: “In the very act of creating its own past, the past of the scenario and the past, of the shooting, [the final cut] destroys the past of the mind of each spectator. Images are inherently fascistic because they overstamp the truth, however dim and blurred, of the real past experience, as if, faced with ruins, we must turn architects, not archeologists. The word is the most imprecise of signs. Only a science-obsessed age could fail to comprehend that this is its great virtue, not its defect. What I was trying to tell Jenny in Hollywood was that I would murder my past if I tried to evoke it on camera; and it is precisely because I can’t really evoke it in words, can only hope to awaken some analogous experience in other memories and sensitivities, that it must be written.”’

This book, along with Graham Greene and a few otheres actually helped bring me to England, where I once lived ten years, and so to many impressions and adventures, which I highly value now, besides itself…

Regards,
Clive