Method to tag text?

Hi, new to the forum and the software. It’s great so far!

I’m working on a non-fiction book and I’ve got a few dozen interview transcripts. Is there a way I can tag sections of each text with a topic, and search it later? Does that make sense? For example, say a transcript is a few pages long and only talks about “the American dream” in one paragraph. I’d like to mark that and then look at all quotes marked with “the American dream.”

It seems I might be looking for custom meta-data or keywords? I couldn’t figure it out exactly.

Thanks for the help!

Keywords are the standard method for this.

Note that keywords are assigned at the document level, not to individual paragraphs. I use the Documents -> Split function extensively.

• Duplicate the transcript so that you’ll have an un-mangled copy for reference.

• Assign keywords to the duplicate copy to identify the interviewee and/or whatever other information you think is important.

• Use the Documents -> Split command to break the duplicate transcript into chunks by topic. Each chunk will inherit the keywords assigned to the parent document. Add more as needed to identify the contents of each chunk.

• Use the Keyword search function to find all chunks with a given topic.

Katherine

I’d like to add that if it were possible for the search function to search Inspector Comments, then one could mark a paragraph, or any other subunit of text, with a comment as a “tag,” and search for that. This has probably been suggested before, but it would definitely be a worthwhile addition.

Would it not be possible to create your own tag by marking a paragraph or a point within a paragraph with a string which wouldn’t have to be long but should include character or characters that won’t occur in the text, something like <@william> <@penny> etc., so that the string is unique. I don’t know if searching for “All” in project search will include inline comments, because if it does, by using inline comments then at compile time you can set the compiler to exclude them. If not, you could set up rules in the compiler to find each of them in turn and replace them with nothing.

Mark