Migrating from KJots to Scrivener

Hi! I’m really liking Scrivener, and now I’d like to use it as my primary notetaking app.

I’m a former Linux user, and I have tons of notes and other text in KJots. So now I’d like to move all of my KJots data into Scrivener.

Links: http://techhaze.com/2010/02/linux-app-kjots/
http://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/kjots/

Im hoping that someone could whip up a script to allow me to quickly move my tons of data from kjots into scrivener.

Kjots essentially is a subset of Scrivener. It allows one to save text and organize them in a directory structure much like that in Scrivener. Kjots data is in XML.

I wish to preserve my nested directory structure in kjots, translating them directly into Scrivener’s folder structure. (Kjots allows nested books).

It is not necessary to preserve rich formatting (bold, italics, etc), although I’d like to preserve whitespace/newlines.

I believe Kjots saves each top-level “book” as a separate file in its “database”.

Help? I can supply pertinent files as needed.

I know very little about KJots, but does it have an OPML export? That might be the easiest way to get structural data from it to Scrivener. An OPML file can be dragged into the binder, all hierarchy will be preserved, and if the source application places content into the notes attribute where expect, it will be used to populate the text editor portion in Scrivener.

I’ve never used KJots either, but reading here:

docs.kde.org/development/en/kdep … /kjots.pdf

There is a plain text export. That will get you a flatfile you could split manually. Unless you’ve got thousands and thousands of pages you need organised at once I’d say working off a flat file and then “Split with selection as title” will be easiest way to get back to your organised structure.

I loved my projects from other apps to Scrivener this way, but they were only a few hundred sub documents and about a hundred folders.

If your KJots files are for reference, then you won’t need to split them all at once - just when you need to. Won’t be as nice as having everything in place in one go, but a lot more feasible for uber sized projects.

I have tried that flat file export, actually, but I had hoped to find a better way… : )

Edit: It doesn’t have OPML export :frowning:

Below is what a kjots “book”(folder) looks like inside. This book has another book inside. The inner book has two pages, the outer book has one page. Unlike in scrivener, a book/folder cannot contain text itself — it has to have pages.

Would it be possible to get a quick script to convert this into something that Scrivener will understand?
I think the only important tags are: , , , and

[code]

MyTitle 211 0 This is a book title 190 1 This is a page title 191 <![CDATA[

My text here.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz.
Platinum blond vixen from wyoming acquires hijacked zamboni.
Sphinx of black quartz, heed my vow.]]>

Another Page 197 <![CDATA[More text here.

text text text text text]]>

Another Page Title 212 [/code]

I Forgot to add: It doesn’t have OPML export unfortunately.

Can it insert a string in between each section? If so, you could use Scrivener’s File/Import/Import and Split command, which lets you provide a separation string which will it hunt for, strip out, and automatically split for you. This way you can several hundred items in your binder from a single text file. If it doesn’t have built-in support for entry demarcation, an XSL or some other XML processing script on the schema you provided that produced such a text file could work.