Minor glitch in the Tutorial

When discussing the Label field, Step 6 of the tutorial (“CLICK HERE TO START”) says: "You might, for instance, rename “Labelâ€

What the tutorial is intending to get across is that you can change the name of the data set to POV, and from that point on, you could use that data set to store names depending on scene POV. So by example, press Cmd-Opt-, to enter the Labels & Status configuration. In the Labels tab, you’ll see a field at the top that says: “Custom Title:” Here is where you would put ‘POV.’ Now, instead of thinking of it as a label, you can think of it as different POVs. Press the ‘+’ button near the bottom and type in ‘Bob,’ then press it again and type in ‘Mary,’ and so forth. An applied example of this would be in the FAQ Scrivener project, where Label has been changed to “State,” and is actually used more like a status would be otherwise. If something is ‘new’ it is red, and so on. I changed Status to ‘Revision’ because it seemed that having colour was more important to whether or not an answer was updated or new, as opposed to which revision it was published in.

If you find that you need more than two fields to keep track of things: Say you want to have sub-plot, exposition, various character POVs, and whether or not the document is a rough draft or finished – consider using keywords for the bit of information which requires the least visibility. I happen to use keywords for characters and coloured labels for the various plot threads. I already know which characters are in which plot thread, so the character is less important (speaking in terms of outline visibility) than the plot. While keywords are less visible (by this I mean you cannot see them in Corkboard and such), they are more flexible because you can have a limitless number of them assigned to a document. I actually track plot with keywords too, as well as characters. This way, if I ever change my mind in the future about what I want to use labels for, I’ll already have the important information encoded into each document with keywords.

Hopefully that made sense.

Great! Your answer is superb. Thank you for not only explaining the idea, but walking me through the procedure. I get it now. So to paraphrase the UI, each Scrivening (I hope I’m using that term correctly) gets two multiple-choice fields for descriptions. You can name the fields anything you want, and you can create any settings you want them to take on. These are basically quick views for any two kinds of information you want to track. If you need more attributes, or want to maintain other types of database information, then use the keywords fields. Have I got that right?

-Andrew

Yep, that’s it; simple but effective. There are of course many other things you can try. Some put identifying information right into the title of the document, which works fine if these titles would not be otherwise visible during export. The synopsis field itself is a handy place to put information, as it is another spot that is visible from multiple views. And yes, ‘Scrivenings’ is the correct term for a document. It helps differentiate from the stigma that the word ‘document’ carries. For brevity, I tend to refer to things as ‘items’ in the Binder.