Minor trouble with formatting text documents in compile

Hi all. New to the forum. Apologies for my making an account pretty much just to post here, but I hope to be able to contribute in other ways later on, as Scrivener has already been a big part of my writing life.

My problem isn’t exactly a bug, just a little difficulty I’m having with compile and format options.

The novel I’m working on is divided into four parts, each about novelette-sized, and from there it’s divided into long scenes or short chapters (s-chapters). In the application, I’m setting this up as folders for the parts, with individual documents as the s-chapters. Ideally, in final compilation and publication the result would be the parts formatting as either “Part 1: Title” or just “Title” followed by a page break before the first scene in that part, with each s-chapter titled just “One”, “Two”, etc, with a page break after each one. All this so far I had figured out by playing with the formatting, and I mention it just so you understand how it’s already set up.

The problem shows up with a new scene I’m writing, where the scene has flashback sections interspersed within it. To keep each part separate, I took the original single document, copied the parts out to separate documents (ie first FB on one doc, present on another doc, second FB on a third doc, etc), putting them all in a folder which goes on the same level as the s-chapter texts. However, this results in each part getting numbered like the s-chapters, which I don’t want.

I tried clicking the + sign in the top-right corner of “Formatting” in the Compile window, and it caused the application to freeze. I say this only because that looked like it could work.

Last bit of info: I am using the standard Novel template, not the “Novel (with parts)” template. If the best solution is to change the template, is there a way I can change it without creating a new project and manually transferring everything?

Just a point on your method, it sounds like you’re heading in the right direction. Setting a deeper level text file (probably Level 3, leaving 1 & 2 looking like chapters) style that doesn’t number parts of a scene like chapters is what you want to do.

As to the bug: yeah that’s a known conflict in 10.10 between this type of table we’re using in the Formatting pane (with all of the checkboxes and rows of icon types) and the General System Preference setting to always show scrollbars. Temporarily set that to something other than “always” while you are messing with the Formatting pane, and then you can turn it back on. We’ll be switching to a different table style for the next build, to dodge the problem.

I wouldn’t recommend that, mainly because the functional part of this template variant, compared with the stock Novel, is its compile settings, and if you want to play with those you can do so by simply selecting a compile preset with parts and tweak it from there. From what it sounds like, though, you wouldn’t gain a whole lot by switching now. You could certainly try it without losing your current settings if you want. Just save them using the “Manage Compile Format Presets…” option at the bottom of the Format As drop-down, add your preset, and now you can mess around your settings and always come back to where you are now if you find out it doesn’t really give you much of a boost. That’s handy if you just want to export an outline or something, too.

Generally speaking, our templates are starting points with suggestions for how you may use the software, so once you’ve already started writing and structuring your Binder in a comfortable way to suit your writing habits, there is very little reason to consider using another template—especially in this case where the only big difference is, like I say, the compile settings.

Okay, that sounds like the best option. How do I set that up?

EDIT: Never mind, I got it figured out. Thanks for the help!