Minor UI issue: bottom of Edit Scrivenings window

When Editing Scrivenings, it is possible to use the arrow keys to page out of (down from) the last document, and the cursor then appears in the space where a “new” document would be. You can also click in that space to position the cursor there. But typing there doesn’t work and produces an error beep.

It seems to me it shouldn’t be possible to position the cursor where you can’t type because there isn’t in fact a document to edit.

Or, for bonus points, it would be cool if you could simply start typing there into a new document, automagically creating the next “scrivening” in the series.

But it should be one or the other, yes?

You have a point, but can we review this one post 1.0? The whole “Edit Scrivenings” mechanism is incredibly complicated, and whilst we are in the run up to 1.0 I am inclined to adopt a “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy. This certainly isn’t broke; it’s just an oddity of the current system, in that the text storage component separators get added after the last component, too. So, I’ll add it to the list, but it’s a really, really low priority prior to 1.0. Hope you understand. :slight_smile:
Best,
Keith

No problem–it doesn’t bother me, it just seemed like a slightly unpolished aspect to an otherwise amazingly polished app. (And I actually kind of like the idea of being able to just start a new document by typing in the blank space–I have several of my longer chapters broken up into smaller chunk-documents, and it would often be convenient to simply be able to add another chunk in the current folder. Not that it’s particularly hard to do now, mind you.) By all means, get 1.0 out the door without further pandering to us nitpickers. Start making money!

Just in case you are not aware, you can hit Cmd-N while you are typing, and a new document will be created below the current document. This works as insertion and to add material to the end of the current Edit Scrivenings session – something the blank space method would not let you do.