Missing custom compile formats on transfer to new Mac

Any idea where custom compile Formats are located on the Mac for Scrivener 3? I had to install on a new computer, and all of my custom settings that were saved to My Formats seem to be missing. Thankfully I have a backup of my old Mac, but no idea how to locate the missing Formats to transfer over! Thanks for the help!

Here you go

:slight_smile:

Mark

Ah, looks like that respoonse isn’t entirely correct, though I DID just locate it! I never noticed it before, but there’s a menu option under the Scrivener menu that says "Reveal Support Folder in Finder, which shows it in Library / Containers / Scrivener. Maybe it’s new for Mac OS Monterey? But alas, there it is! Hooray!

I’m still using Big Sur (with Scrivener 3.2.3) so maybe Apple’s changed things with Monterey. I have a “Library/Containers” folder but all Scrivener’s stuff is under Application support.

This iMac has been upgraded Mojave → Catalina → Big Sur. My M1 MBA (Big Sur) still has the Scrivener stuff in Application Support. It’ll be interesting to see what happens when I eventually upgrade to Monterey.

:slight_smile:

Mark

Apple moves “internal” files around pretty regularly.

I have a fresh install of Monterey on a machine which has never known the joy of Big Sur and Scrivener’s support folder is where it’s always been in Application Support.

Is the difference in location explained by from where the purchase was made? The Mac App Store does sandbox apps to “Containers”.

1 Like

The difference is more precisely defined by whether or not the software is allowed to integrate with the rest of the system. Software that is locked down, in a so-called “sandbox”, is not even allowed use standard preference saving locations in the Library folder. So Apple had a conundrum they had to solve: such software operates more naturally by having the user invisibly grant permission to load and save things through dialogue boxes—but having to set dialogue boxes up for dozens if not hundreds of inscrutable settings files would not be desirable. Thus the answer was to to make the preference system more complicated and split into multiple areas. The “Containers” folder is where all such software each has its own little “user folder” that it can work in, hidden from the actual user, and unable to freely work with other “user folders”. It’s weird, and makes paths super long, but there is no other way to balance the need for autonomously writing and reading files from the disk.

As for where you buy it from, the only thing that matters there is that Apple believes all software should be locked down like this, and tries to enforce that by not allowing normal software to be sold through their app store. Thus all software you buy from the MAS will be that way, but the inverse isn’t necessarily true for software purchased directly, as one is free to make software however they want outside of the MAS—including using sandboxing voluntarily.

As for the original question being posed, we have an article in the knowledge base that can help with migrating to a new computer and transferring your settings and files.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I located the files, got 'em transferred, and my compile settings are back in action! Thanks again!