Missing overwrite mode marker

This is not quite a bug, but I really miss something that shows when overwrite mode is enabled. Sometimes with my big and goofy fingers it happens to me to press INS key by mistake; then I see my typing eating what I wrote earlier. In other programs like LibreOffice a marker appears in the status bar when I do this; as far as I know, in Word 2019 overwriting has even been disabled. Could you at least put a marker somewhere? Or is it already there and I didn’t see it? If I press INS key I see nothing happening anywhere in the interface.

There is no INS key on the Mac, thank the gods, but we do have the caps lock key. I use Karabiner to change it to delete_forward, since the Mac doesn’t have that key (and I rarely want to shout when I type).

Maybe you can find a way on Windows to remap that key to disable it or do something useful. If that sounds useful, google “windows remap keys” or start here:

https://www.mobigyaan.com/how-to-reconfigure-keyboard-by-remapping-keys-on-windows-10

@drmajorbob: Scrivener for Windows has an option to enable/disable the Insert key functionality completely, but does not have a visual clue about its current status unfortunately. By default the Insert key functionality is disabled. We will think of some visual clue in the future.

@drmajorbob
That INS key under Windows enables or disables an overwrite mode; so if you enable it and place the caret in the middle of some text, what you type replaces characters from that point forward. I don’t know if this is useful or not; I never use it. Never seen this on Macs, anyway. A visual clue telling me when it’s enabled would be welcome. Or, as I’ve seen on Word 2019, that could be completely disabled.

@ sbradabang: In Scrivener it can be also completely disabled. By default it is completely disabled.

@tiho_d
Sorry; I overlooked that option. I found it enabled, though, and I don’t remember enabling it in the past. Maybe an older beta had it enabled by default, and I kept installing new betas by automatic updates, so this setting was inherited.

Disabling it is good; mapping it to something useful is better.