Missing page numbers and headers in pdf

Hi again,

I just sent my copy editor my book, which is about 200 pages. She wrote back saying that the following are missing in the pdf. I can’t figure out why these are missing. There isn’t a single pattern I can identify (e.g. missing on last page of chapter). FYI I have one custom Compile profile for the front matter and one for the Body. I assume that the Compile setting should hold true for all pages in the Body (and ditto for the front matter), but clearly something strange is happening. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Amiel

book title or chapter title headers missing on pages 43, 45, 46, 49, 51, 60-63, 67, 69-70, 74-75, 91-94, 99, 101-103, 120-121, 123, 125, 127, 130-131, 135, 137, 144-145, 147, 149, 152-153, 162, 166-167, 169, 171, 173, 175

page numbers missing on pages 43-46, 60-62, 70, 91-94, 101, 122, 129, 151, 162

p.s. When I printed out a pdf draft of this document a week ago, all of the page numbers and headers showed up perfectly. So I’m wondering what changed since then. The one thing that comes to mind: I added a lot of page breaks to get rid of orphans and widows. I don’t know if they correlate with the pages with the missing page numbers and headers. Could this be the cause?

There are a couple of checkboxes that can make an impact here, in the Page Settings compile option pane. In that first tab, labelled “Header and Footer”, check the options at the bottom. If you were using a lot of page breaks that may have created some conditions where you have a single page section (that just happens to be filled so it doesn’t look that way). These options are designed to work hand in hand with popular page numbering technique right now, which avoids putting a page number on the chapter title page itself. Since page breaks are typically only triggered by a strong section break like a chapter, the checkboxes are a safe assumption and will produce a desirable result. We typically recommend people use a full publication suite at this phase of the project, for this reason and often more. You’ll just find more power to make the document the way it should look, using Word or similar, which have sophisticated orphan and widow control built in and so on.

Thanks for the fast reply. It sounds like doing the rest in Word would simplify things.
I did just spend an hour manually getting rid of orphans and widows. Is there any way to tell Scrivener that a particular page break is NOT a new chapter?

Amiel

Unfortunately the software just isn’t designed that way. Scrivener has no built-in concept of constructs that we might use it for, such as parts or chapters or subsections or scenes. We can make stuff act like a chapter, with the automatic numbering and chapter title generator, the page break generator, the page header/footer exclusions and even first-paragraph formatting (sans indent)—these are all necessary ingredients to typesetting a chapter page of cut, but in no part of that is Scrivener declaring to itself or to you that this collection of features is “a chapter”. It’s just a repeatable structural pattern in an outline that is detected and handled as requested with a number of compile features.

It may seem like a drawback, but this is what makes Scrivener an all-purpose writing tool, since not every form of writing includes structural elements like chapters.