MMD settings

I have a few suggestions concerning MMD settings handling…

One major benefit of MMD is to be able to generate several outputs from a single source. However, the way MMD settings are handled could be significantly (and probably easily) enhanced, in my opinion. I think that, since many of MMD settings are actually related to the output format (XSLT File, Format, header level, bibliography style, just to name a few), they belong more somehow to the export process than to the document source itself. Or at least, it should be easier to change from one set of settings to another. I see three ways to handle this:

1. I think it should be possible to save/load MMD settings. Thus, changing the settings of a document for a different output format or entering setting to an empty document would just mean to load previously saved MMD settings. Simple, close to the current implementation and good enough.

2. Saved MMD settings could also be saved/loaded, as in 1, but in the export dialog. Both sets of settings (“File -> MMD settings…” and new settings in export dialog) could be appended in the final export. This would allow a user to keep “document related” metadata (such as Title and Author, actually autofilled) in the document’s “File -> MMD settings…”, and “export related” metadata in the export dialog. The same “export settings” could also be used for any draft, without any modification to the scrivener document.

3. A text scrivening at the root level of the Draft with the name starting with Metadata (or MMD, or whatever you decide) could be used for MMD settings. For example, a user could have a few files (example: “Metadata: Latex draft”, “Metadata: Latex final”, “Metadata: web”) with the proper data to be used. Then, just checking/unchecking the files in the export dialog would generate the proper output (and could be saved via the current save… load… settings). Recalling saved settings would simply mean copying the metadata scrivening of an existing document. This approach does not mean “trashing” the current approach, but could be used as in approach 2. The metadata scrivenings could be appended to the “file -> MMD Settings…” and used, again, as a way to seperate document and export settings logically. Advantage compared to approach no. 2: It would avoid changing the current export dialog. Disadvantage: it wouldn’t be as intuitive as “save/load settings” buttons. But, frankly, using MMD requires reading some documentation, anyways.

Personally, option 1 would be fine, while options 2 and 3 would be best. I’m not sure, however, which one I’d prefer between the two…

Thank you again for your outstanding software,

Jonathan

The current implementation was done with the input of Fletcher T. Penney, the creator of MMD, and generally it took a lot of persuading from users for me to put MMD in Scrivener in the first place. :slight_smile: So, I am afraid I am reluctant to change the MMD implementation in any way for the foreseeable future. Keep those ideas in your head, though, as I may well revisit things around 1.5 or 2.0 - just not yet.
All the best,
Keith

Actually, this post was more about what I think would be a nice implementation of MMD settings than a real missing feature that makes my life problematic with Scrivener/MMD. I have found a workaround using the current implementation and some slight modifications to Fletcher’s xslt files that does pretty much what I want. It is quite close to suggestion no.3, but without the nice “save export settings”.

In the future, though, I think users might appreciate a better implementation of MMD settings instead of the current one or going through Fletcher’s code as I did.

I still think your application is fantastic as it is (especially for a version 1.0!).

Jonahtan

Presumably you have played with the MultiMarkdown settings in the File menu and know that you can create a template file (File > Save As Template) that you can use as a basis for your MMD projects?
Best,
Keith

Yes, but this diverges from the philosophy/beauty of CSS/LaTeX/S5 and the power/simplicity of MMD. It “ties” the output format to the document source and it is order to seperate those 2 things that I made the suggestions in the first place. The way I see it, the template is good for creating a new document with the same output format, but not good for having different outputs with the same document. My dream tool would include that.