MMD vs LaTeX issue? - passing from Scrivener

I’m not sure if this is an MMD or LaTeX “issue” (if not, where should I post questions like this?) regarding Scrivener…

How can I pass LaTeX arguments from Scrivener? For example, I have a Preface that is simply one of my Scrivener pages, but when it gets converted into LaTeX, it shows up as a chapter and gets numbered. I manually change the \chapter{preface} to \chapter*{preface}, but if I have to do too many manual changes, then I’m losing the advantage to writing in Scrivener and may as well just use LyX or a text editor, no?

Does MMD help with this sort of thing? I’ve been reading the Markdown and MultiMarkdown documentation, but I’m having a hard time seeing the real advantage for my uses. It seems great for readability when using a text editor, but in Scrivener it’s less beneficial (again, for me). I have found it to be useful for inserting pictures though.

Thanks.

MMD can help with a lot of this sort of thing, but I’m not sure there is an easy way of doing it with the example you give.

Certainly Latex commands can be embedded in Scrivener text and passed through MMD to Latex hidden inside html comments: personally I use a lot of and the like. And there is the option of doing some of this automatically through project replacements (e.g.converting W/m2K in my text to ) on compile.

There’s also the option of building things like complex tables in Latex, storing them, and then using (as an example) to call that into the document within Latex processing.

However, with my extremely limited Latex knowledge, I don’t know how you would automatically process \chapter{Abstract} to \chapter*{Abstract}.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along …

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that it’s not only the Preface that I need to add the Chapter* to. I want to have some text boxes with tips/recollections, etc. in them and would prefer to put them in Scrivener in their own pages. It just makes it easier to move them around if I can see them as index cards and such rather than digging through the text to find my boxes.

For the particulate stuff that isn’t a part of the book structure, you can set their flags to As-Is in the Inspector. That drops the title generation for the item.

For secondary sections like preludes, I use a replacement in the compiler. Something like:

Replace: <$noTocTitle>
With: <!--\chapter*{<$title>}-->

There. Just as I hoped. Someone more knowledgeable turned up. That usually happens around here.

(And I also found I can spell knowledgeable as knowledgable and the spellchecker doesn’t hate me … woo!)

Thanks. One more question if I may…

Is this the proper way to build all of the sections? For example, I also have appendices. Scrivener automatically makes chapters out of my folders, but I can’t seem to figure out how to make it recognise appendices. I was reading up on \frontmatter, \backmatter, etc. but so far haven’t figured out how to use it in Scrivener/MMD3.

If you call a level one (or two) header “Appendix” or “Appendices” then MMD will pick up on that and use it appropriately. You don’t have to do anything in Scrivener other than call the folder that. Scrivener itself is not aware of any of this.

I’m not quite following. I made a folder called “Apendices” and dropped all of my documents into it. Scrivener created (what looks like) a chapter called Appendices and each document is a section (confirmed by the LaTeX code that shows \chapter and \section). Do I still need to insert \backmatter and some other code into Scrivener to have it pass it to LaTeX? Do I need to adjust anything under Formatting in the Compile settings?

Also, just for reference, I’d like my appendices to have Appendix A: How to Type in Programs (for example). I’m using the memoir class with the veelo chapter style. I’m assuming this has some sort of appendix styling also (didn’t see it in the manual yet)?

Well, I don’t know what is wrong then, as a quick test I can create an MMD file like this:

Hmm, after investigating further it looks like this feature was dropped in MMD3. That’s kind of annoying. I guess you have to manually type in LaTeX code now. Set the Appendix folder to As-Is so it doesn’t print anything, and type in:

<!-- \appendixpage* \appendix -->

That’s what MMD2 did when you called a Part “Appendix”. If you wanted to you could add \backmatter to the top of that code; that’s up to you. Not everyone draws the line there as some still consider it to be book material.

As always, worked like a charm. Thanks once again for the assistance.

You know, I was hesitant at first to delve into LaTeX, but with Scrivener/MMD, all the documentation available, and the help on this board, I think I made the right choice. My project is already shaping up nicely and I’ve been motivated even more to work on it.