Modified Date meta-data is wrong

I posted this in the feedback section last week, but since there was no response, thought I’d post it here as well.

The modified date meta-data changes when I click the “include in compile” button, even though I have changed nothing else. As a writer, that does not constitute a modification to the document. I consider it to be a bug if the Modified Date is intended to have any value to writers.

If the current behavior is as intended, it would be most valuable to add access to the date of modification of the actual document (the underlying rtf file).

This is Keith’s explanation of that from this thread, here: Wishes for Meta Data/Project Statistics

Interesting. However, I do not consider simply printing a document (compiling it for print) to be a change to the document by any stretch. This undermines any value that the “modified date” meta-data might otherwise have.

Oh well. I’ve been using a spread sheet in parallel with Scrivener in order to track dates on which I made actual changes to my writing, and it looks like I’ll need to continue doing this.

Depending how your binder’s set up, you might find it easier to select what’s getting compiled by choosing a specific folder in the Draft to compile, rather than the entire Draft–then you wouldn’t need to continually change the “include in compile” setting per document. In File > Compile… click the blue arrow button to see the full sidebar of options if you don’t then in the Contents pane you can choose a folder for compile from the pop-up menu.

You may also find it helpful to use Edit > Insert > Current Date and Time in the document notes section or synopsis to indicate when you wrote in the document.

Jennifer - Thanks for the response.

My novel is “complete” at roughly 450 MS pages. I work off of hard copy a LOT, which is why I am using Scrivener rather than yWriter. yWriter has a lot of flexibility, stellar meta-data options, but really crappy endogenous printing capability!! I am now going through an edit/revision cycle and am trying to preserve page numbering across a chapter if I can just to help preserve my sanity. Thus, if I have 5 scenes in a chapter, and change a sentence in the fifth scene, I need to compile, but not to print, scenes 1,2,3 & 4 so that scene 5 will start with the correct page number and interface cleanly with the rest of the chapter (the last fractional page of scene 4 may need to get printed too, of course.) Thus, all five scenes show that the last modified date is the same as scene 5, although nothing was “really” changed, and I didn’t even reprint them!

A do understand Keith’s position that the document is more than just the text, but I would like very much to see a feature that allowed me to see the last modified date of just the underlying rtf file which contains my novel - the stuff I’m going to send my editor in a few weeks. This should be very easy since the time-stamp is available on the .rtf files themselves, and pulling that time-stamp into the XML file which is the project file is not particularly hard.

Thanks

Doug

BTW, I have considered moving ALL my synopsis info into the document notes and using the synopsis for exactly the purpose you suggest, so I may display it in the outliner. HOWEVER, Edit>Insert>Current Date & Time is not an allowed option in the Synopsis. Thus I have to insert it elsewhere and then cut and paste. Which is annoying. And having it in the Notes means I can’t see it in the outliner. And retaining the synopsis as the actual synopsis with a date and time, and then displaying it in the outliner, makes the display stretch on forever if you have an actual multi-line synopsis, which I do. My synopses tend to run on for 6-8 lines for each scene.

Hmmmm.

Doug

Ah, thanks for the catch. That’s a bug; you should be able to insert the date and time into the synopsis.