Modifying the Context Menu

Hi,

I purchased this software yesterday (after using the trial for a few weeks). Love it.

Is there a way of modifying the context menu? When I right-click to correct a word, the properly spelled word is way at the top, and the menu is very long (it’s integrated another program called Antidote, making it even longer). I realize I should just make the effort to spell the word properly on the first go, but old habits die hard. I like right-clicking and correcting on the fly.

Plus, there are just too many items in the menu for my liking so I’d like to trim it down.

I searched this question beforehand, but could not find anything.

Thanks.

Great software!

It’s a good question, but the answer is basically “no”. The problem is that the contextual menu in OS X is a bit of a hybrid thing, getting its contents from a variety of places. External applications can provide global contextual items (in version prior to Snow Leopard), the system itself provides items, such as Search in Google and spelling corrections, and then there is the application itself that is “hosting” the menu. While you can do some hacking with some applications in the NIB file (roughly equal to messing with the ResFork in OS 9) not all applications have their NIB files accessible, and that still only addresses part of the menu.

Anyway, because of its dynamic nature, there isn’t a static copy of the entire contextual menu anywhere, it’s built whenever you right-click, so there is nothing to edit which will allow re-ordering and so on. At least not that I know of.

Ok, thanks. The reason I brought is up is because in Word it allows you to customize all the various context menus, so I figured it might be the same for this software.

I already found one workaround solution for others who might have similar issues. If you right-click on the top half of the page, the context menu opens downward so you’re exactly in line with the properly spelled word. If you right click on the bottom half, it opens upwards so you have to scroll all the way to the top to click on the properly spelled word.

In general though, I find the context menu too cumbersome. Aside from that, the software is amazing.

Thanks again.

Word does not utilise the same system services contextual menu functions, I believe. This kind of “collaborative” menu is common to Cocoa based applications like Scrivener. If you right-click in TextEdit, for instance, you’ll see many common items and arrangements. Since a good percentage of the menu is completely out of Scrivener’s control, it would be difficult or maybe not even possible to adjust its contents entirely, without just scrapping the whole collaborative element, which not everyone would be pleased with. A lot of people install system level tools to enhance that menu, and might be frustrated if Scrivener ignored them. It’s a bit of a catch-22.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words about Scrivener, and for buying. Amber has covered most things, but I just wanted to add the following points in case they are helpful. First, as you have noticed, contextual menus - and any sort of pop-up menu in Cocoa apps - open so that all items are visible. They try to open so that either the top or selected item are in line with the mouse, but as you note, if the mouse is close enough to the bottom of the screen that all items could not be displayed, then the this won’t be possible and the most useful items may appear farther above. Also, though, the contents of the contextual menu with depend on the OS you are using. If you are using Snow Leopard, then you may have a lot more items in the contextual menu. Snow Leopard places any Services that are available at the bottom of the contextual menu, which can bloat the menu tremendously. If this might be the case, then you can turn off some of the services via the System Preferences under Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts (select Services from the list and turn off any you don’t need).

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith