Mood music (to get you in the mood)

Mutemath and Portal 2 music happen to work well for me. Suits my book, and I like it a lot.

I’ve recently started using brain.fm which is excellent for mood music.

Yes indeed, music and the brain. There are learning theories that say that the mind works best with memory retention when listening to the 60 BPB (beats per minute) tempo. This is normally the second part of a lot of classical music, the largo part.

Mozart has a lot of this type of music. Lately I have become a real fan of Chopin. Specifically, try looking for Chopin Nocturne E Flat Major Op.9 No.2 on youtube. Let that play and try some writing. I am also a huge fan of Chopin’s Waltz in A minor.

Sometimes I have to set the volume way down - or turn it completely off when the writing starts to flow -I don’t want any distractions when my mind gets on a roll. Music is great for setting my creative mind in a good place which helps me to get started (sometimes).

Sometimes, I get filled with doubt. I love Gospel music and some of those pieces truly lift me spiritually and inspire me. Sometimes when I do that and I will feel like I am on a stage, giving a TED talk about something that I am passionate about. Then I write from that place.

Do what you have to do to face the roadblocks to your own creative mind. Music can do that for me. And sometimes, if it isn’t distracting me, music can be a friendly companion as I take the journey, and write.

Music distracts me too much when I’m writing. Since this thread has been resurrected, I’ll put a plug in for myNoise.net, a website for which I’m a patron. There’s also a mobile app.

The guy who runs it goes around the world recording natural sounds as well as creating synthetic ones, which he then makes available via the site or app. You can mix and match sounds together and create a non-music soundtrack for your writing. So I can mix a thunder storm with 747 airliner sounds, or a marketplace with random piano tinkling.

It’s a free site, but accepts donations. If you’ve never checked it out, I encourage you to do so.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

i listen to more chill music when i write, like lo-fi, ‘hacking’ music, or more chill phonk. the reason for this is bc it usually helps me focus more. but overall, i usually tend to listen to kawaiicore or phonk, with the occasional synthwave