More advanced spelling checking

I use the Windows version of Scrivener (I believe the MacOS spelling is completely different), but I was wondering if it might be possible for some future version of Scrivener’s spelling check to incorporate a couple of features that I would find very useful.
[b]

1. Proper names[/b]
    Many years ago I used some software (no memory as to what it was) that allowed you to specify a word was a proper noun when it was added to the dictionary. The spelling check would then know that it should always be capitalised and would also recognise the possessive form as correct without you having to create a second entry. It was a lovely feature.
    [b]
  2. Words in phrases[/b]
    I just had to add “sui” and “generis” to the spelling dictionary, but of course I will now inevitably mistype “suit” at some point and the spelling check will think it’s correct. In Ms Word I have created a macro called “foreign” that allows me to highlight the phrase and with a keyboard shortcut, format it as italic and “do not check spelling”, but – as far as I can see – Scrivener has no such function (but I would love it if it did!). Alternatively, could we have multiple spelling languages in a document, so that I could highlight the words and specify they are Latin? Or, could groups of words be added to the dictionary so that “sui” is only correct when followed by “generis”? No idea which (if any) of these is possible, but any one of them would make me very happy.

3. A ridiculously geeky request
I imagine the global demand for this might be in the low single figures, but I am an academic and have always dreamt of a word processor that allows you to type [sic] after a misspelt word, and which would then no longer flag the word as misspelt.*

[*Non-academics may – or quite possibly, may not – like to know that “sic” is used to indicate that the word in question was misspelt in the original that you’re quoting. It’s Latin and the literal translation is “thus”, but it really means “I went to university, am really well-educated, and am smarter than the person I am quoting”.]

2 Likes