More dictionary languages

How can I install the Finnish language dictionary in the Scrivener?

The language itself is available ( ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html ), but Scrivener doesn’t allow it (many other languages from the list also have this fate for some unknown reason). Is there a way to add the languages/dictionaries myself?

Maybe Scrivener could support all the languages available?

Scrivener supports all the languages available for the latest version of Aspell that runs on Windows, .50.3. Unfortunately, although there is a newer version with more dictionaries, this isn’t available for Windows. Lee is working on porting the dictionaries from this list as he is able, so you’ll see that Scrivener’s download list includes languages not available from the .50.3 list here. It is a time-consuming task, as you may imagine, but we’re trying to make as many language dictionaries available to Scrivener as possible.

Hi, I’m new here, so sorry if I’ll post several times or make other mistakes. I wanted to ask, if I can download Lithuanian language from elsewhere, cause it’s not on the download list. thanks.

I’m wondering about adding Australian English dictionary. Can’t find it, though, so I’m using the English (UnitedKingdom) one. I changed from US one as I’m sick of their baby English.

Years ago I discovered that some moron hated British and set about making up his own “American” English version. Such a baby!

Oh well.

I once read somewhere that a newspaper reporter could not strike the “s” key, the only one he could is the “z” key, so he uses that, so he made “realise”, etc into “realize”, etc. I calls it lazy writing, as most American’s “enlgish” are lazy, too.

That’s my opinion.

I prefers the best English of them all, though. King James Bible had words I never knew exists. Amazing. I rediscovers lovely new words. Thou! Thy! Unto! etc … it’s great. I like it.

No worries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

I only speak in ancient Tamil. Everything else is infantile; a sloppy and inelegant derivative. They are weak tongues from arrogant peoples who had the audacity to populate the rest of the planet and forget their roots. :imp:

Now that Windows 8 includes a system wide dictionary, will Scrivener be able to take advantage of it at some point? It will be nice to have Office and Scrivener use the same custom word list.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Where DO you get your ideas? Other than Latin, Coptic, Sanskrit and other dead languages, languages are flexible and mutable!

Languages change as people migrate from one land to the other, as people from different areas intermarry, and as time passes. Otherwise we would all be speaking whatever the first people in Africa spoke. Which-- I guarantee-- was NOT English. New words have to be invented for new objects or experiences. I bet there were not many words for snow in Ancient Africa, but once they arrived in snow-falling areas, they invented a word. Much better than saying “cold dry white rain that hurts bare feet.”

You must know many languages, as you seem quite erudite. I only speak two, but I am working on a third. Which-- for a baby brain-- is like winning the Special Olympics

Since you are so enamored by “true English,” maybe you’d like to go back even further than King James, to Chaucer’s Middle English. It’s definitely not the lazy baby American “enlgish” that our tiny little brains can handle.

The Canterbury tales

The General Prologue

Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.

That’s funny, hahahah, Marta! :smiley:

You win ALL the things.