Mori?

Interesting thread. I took a look on every application mentioned here (even BOSWELL :unamused: ), but it seems to me that everything I could do with them I do already with Journler. Journler might have been intended to be a journal-keeping software, but I use it as a “throw-all-in-and-muddle-around-with-it”-application. It’s way of organizing items, to link anything to anything and it’s possibilities to search across all entries are amazing and really helpful.

DevonThink, however, is another category. Archive. Heavy-duty. I use it for fishing and hunting in my archive folders where I am collecting websites, PDFs and other material from the web and elsewhere since a dozen years ago, but then I copy and paste relevant material elsewhere - into Scrivener, into Journler, to a place where I will work with it. I don’t write in DevonThink (mostly because my Mac always almost breaks to his knees once I start it up; it is clearly the most demanding application I own).

I think AmberV is right: Every application is either to the side of being an archive (=dusty shelves in a cold cavern) or a workspace (=neat desk, paper available, fountain pen freshly filled).

Nice and accurate summation!

Interestingly, Steven Johnson recently wrote about how he uses DevonThink as the front end to writing his books, here:

boingboing.net/2009/01/27/di … e-a-b.html

I suppose many of the applications we discuss here could do the same, and perhaps it could all be done in Scrivener. Probably many of you use this same system or some variation.

And, by the way, DEVONTechnologies has just released the second public beta of DTP:

devon-technologies.com/news/index.html