Move PDF from Research folder to a Draft folder

Maybe its because I’m a relative newbie on a WinTel platform but I seem to have hit a problem which I still cannot figure out despite KB having posted an answer on June 7th 2012 (Re: Move File from Research Folder to Draft Folder).

I think I followed the instructions properly (maybe not) up until point 5, but:

I cannot see URL much less anything under it.

What am I trying to achieve? Well, I have a single page PDF document that I would like to include “as is” within the book. Importing the original Word version into Scrivener does not produce a faithful copy, hence I resorted to PDF in order to preserve the formatting.

If the problem is based on my using Scrivener on a WinTel platform then I guess no answer will be forthcoming any time soon… in which case is there some other cunning plan I can use? Turn it into a JPEG maybe, which is getting a tadge extreme imho.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

The trick used there with the asterisk to add the referenced PDF to a sort of jump list from the menu of the other document is Mac-only at the moment, but in any case it doesn’t apply to your specific goal; it’s about how to easily reference a PDF while working in the Draft, since the Draft cannot contain PDFs, only text items. What you’re wanting to do is compile a PDF as part of your manuscript, and that can’t be done. At some point down the road, it may be possible to embed a small PDF image in a text document as can be done for PNG and JPG images and such, but that still might not even be what you want here since if you’re working with a full-page PDF you’d be reducing it to fit it into the new margins and such imposed during compile.

You can convert it to another image type, as you considered, and insert that into the text document; alternatively, depending what format you’re compiling to, you might do better to just leave a placeholder for it and then swap that out after the fact with the PDF. (Or skip the placeholder and just insert the PDF at the appropriate point, if you can easily find it through another means; your choice may depend on what you’re doing with page numbering and such.) From that point you may be able to re-save to another format if you’re intending something other than a PDF final.

Thank you for the clarity you have provided… that RTF is the basic format for the draft text the issues you mention become understandable. I’ll have to play around with other formats and see what I can get away with.

Unless the layout for this section is radically outside of what Scrivener can provide (such as a leaflet that uses freeform layout), I would strongly consider trying to import the text of it, even if that means reformatting it. It is true that sometimes formatting can be lost, but if it is simple formatting it will benefit you much better to have it as part of the text stream in Scrivener. That’s a bit of a personal opinion; I’d much rather have that text available to searches and compile format override down the road.

Barring that, if the format is too complex, I would just set it aside as Jennifer suggestions. Put a note in the text so you know where to stick it, and don’t even bother with the PDF part. When you compile to RTF down the road, use Microsoft Word to merge the existing design into the compiled document where it should go. That will provide you with the highest level of quality and text uniformity.