Move Text -> Doc Notes possible via MMD?

I have to admit I ignored the subject of MMD up to now because I couldn’t see any use for my way of working in it. But maybe…?

My question:
Is it possible to export a whole draft from a scrivener file, do something with it – maybe with the help of some external software, some scripting, whatever – and re-import it again in a way that everything that was text is now in the document notes? (And the text area is empty.)

The reason why I ask:
There is a technique called “Phase Outlining” (as presented by author Lazette Gifford under http://fmwriters.com/Visionback/Issue%2015/phase.htm). Applying this in Scrivener, the phase outline of a text chunk would be longer than what fits easily in the synopsis field, so you would better use the document notes.
Disadvantage: While you can edit text areas in context (Edit Scrivenings) and synopsisses as well (Outline), you can’t do so with the document notes. Experimenting with this technique, I settled for developping the phase outlines in the text areas, and once it’s finished, I would like to be able to move everything automatically into the document note areas - instead of getting finger cramps from a zillion cmd-a cmd-x cmd-v.

Question to the MMD black belters: Is this possible?

One way you could do this is to write an Automator action or script or suchlike to rename all of the numbered RTFD files inside the .scriv package to append “_notes” to their filename. So that, for instance, 5.rtfd becomes 5_notes.rtfd. This would assume that you wanted it done all all documents in the project, though, and not only on the Draft folder.
All the best,
Keith

And to get just the draft that way, you could drag the draft to a temporary project, close it, perform the _notes batch rename, re-open it, and then drag the files back into the original project binder.

MMD isn’t going to help you out with this though. The one area where it excels over most other import methods is in the reconstruction of hierarchy. Since the format has header depth syntax, importing an MMD file will reconstruct the Binder hierarchy (in plain text of course), but it will do so in the main text, not the notes.

Ah! :bulb:

I’ll have a look into that. Thank you.

Hey Andreas I just had a read of that linked page. Are you sure the synopsis card wouldn’t work for you? If you drag it to its largest size in the inspector you can have around 200 words visible at one time - and Gifford’s phase examples don’t run above 50 words.

At maybe a couple of hundred words per document (ie one doc per phase) you would have a lot of small documents as you wrote, but you could merge them as you go, if you wanted - maybe pull them into chapters… anyway, just a thought.

cheers
william

When I read this suggestion, my instant reaction was to click on “PostReply” and to write why I absolutely couldn’t do that. And then … I didn’t found a valid reason.

:blush:

The only point I could think of was that I wanted to be a document a scene. Because I am used to think this way. But actually the whole point of the phase outline is to chunk even scenes in smaller parts. So, you’re argument was a real :open_mouth: eye-opener – thank you!

(Ha, and no need to dive into a scriv-package…!)

Absolutely my pleasure :smiley:

w