Moving files between projects in Scrivener

I just found out about Scrivener yesterday and I bought it today. I’ve gone through the tutorial and I love it, but GOD, I am such a luddite. Age and fatigue are catching up with me, and you will be fed up with my presence in a few days, but bear with me while I get my feet underneath me and the program up and running.

So my first question is, Is it possible to move files around within Scrivener from project to project? I’m sure it is, I just haven’t figured out how. I imported a test file into the main binder, then decided to create a new project to put it and similar files into. Except the file is now in the main, introductory binder where the tutorial is, not in my spiffy new project binder.

Thank you for your patience. Lots of it. :blush:

Erm … drag and drop? :wink:
Mark

As Mark (fast aren’t you?) said, drag and drop.

In other words, open both the tuturial with the file you want and your new project. Move the windows so you can see both. Drag the icon of your file from the binder of the tutorial to the drafts folder of the new project. Voilà !

Oh, and another thing, It’s a really, really good idea to go through the tutorial several times on successive days perhaps. It is excellent and your luddite inclinations will be abated somewhat. :slight_smile:

Dave

Blush.
Thanks, Mark and Dave. I will take your advice and go through the tutorial again tomorrow, when my brains wakes up.

:unamused:

(that icon was self-directed)

Zoe

Molly,

I can’t quite tell from your description, but I think that what you call “projects” are only sub-folders and items you created within the tutorial file.

It’s better to create a new Scrivener file for each project. Let’s say you are working on a novel, a collection of stories, and your memoirs. Use the File: New Project command to create novel.scriv, stories.scriv, and memoirs.scriv. (to the Finder, the New Project is a single file, with the extension .scriv)

Between these projects, yes, you may drag and drop files. Also any relevant files on your hard drive. (Be sure they have a file extension, like .doc for Word files, so Scrivener will recognize and import them).

Once you get the contents into a Scrivener file, use the Binder to create an arrangement that suits you. The Draft section can be where you make a mockup of the novel chapters, or the collection parts. The Research section could be for notes, arranged in topical folders.

So, the main point is; you aren’t limited to working in the Tutorial file. Leave it be and create a whole series of Scrivener files that match your works-in-progress.

And don’t fear to ask questions. We were all newbies at one time.

Will

i don’t mean to distract from the question asked, but Howarth can you explain why you think it is preferable to work with multiple ‘projects’. As i noted in another post this morning, i work with one project file and have hundreds of files and folders within it, about 10 nodes deep in some cases. i have everything from work to a personal learning journal in it, and i haven’t had any problems using a single file: it makes writing in various pages immediately available at my fingtips, allows for broad keywording (which in this case i want) across all these documents.

Am i missing something? is there some serious disadvantage to this approach, for which i should consider spliting things into many projects?

Depends what you are using it for. Certainly, if you are using it to write novels or a book of any kind, you should probably keep it one-book-per-project, given that this is how Scrivener was designed. For shorter papers, you could keep them all in one project.
Best,
Keith

No, Will (Howarth) was I think talking about the way a lot of folks work and the way Scr. was designed. But many of us take different approaches. Really, it’s what works for you. I have a combo approach. Individual Scr. files for large projects, one Scr. file for all my short works, like Keith described. But you may find it much more useful to house everything together. I can definitely see an advantage there as well.

That’s the beauty of Scrivener. You can take what is there and shape it into what works best for you! Gotta love this program!!!

Alexandria

Yes to what everyone else has said. I am compiling a collection of essays, so that’s one project with multiple parts. For a novel or a screenplay, I prefer keeping them as separate projects–because they are very different and searching them as one file would bring up a confusing array of finds.

But if all the parts of your work are strongly integrated, then a single file makes sense. In effect, you have created a database. It’s not quite the intended purpose of Scrivener, but if it works for you, fine. You may always create a new project/file and pull files into it. I prefer to use DevonThink Pro as a database because of its search, classify, and concordance tools.